Strange!?!?!

bigAL1985

I have a hp laptop with pIII 800mhz. I am running a windows xp upgrade from ME. I have reloaded this system 3 times now. The first time...I had a computer shop do it and they said that it had a virus that couldn't be cleaned. The next two times i ended up reloading it myself to save money. About six months ago the computer took a fall onto asphalt....no physical damage. Could that fall have caused internal problems in the HD and cause my computer to lock up when it reaches the bad spot? I also have norton internet security as I am using cable for my internet. This problem really has me confused.

Lax

VIP Member
Lol, a fall is never good for a computer, even into a soft area. In no particular order,
1. How far did it fall.
2. Which laptop is it.
3. Does the HDD makes any noises when you turn it on (clicking, beeping).
Most likely the HDD was banged pretty hard, especially if it was a laptop HDD, they can't take much punishment before simply giving up.

bigAL1985

It is a pavilion n5340 that fell almost 4 feet to asphal from a pickup truck. When i have trouble out of it, the hard drive makes a metallic sliding then clicking...this slide then click lasts for less than one second....it usually occurs multiple times in a row. The first time it happened a couple months ago...the guy at the computer shop said I had a nasty virus, they reinstalled my factory OS then did the upgrade to XP. I took every safety precaution that I could to keep from getting a virus and it has happened three more times since then. It seems to happen after I add a large amount of data to my hard drive...such as my digital music library...three cd's of wma's...or the last time when i installed my cd burner and software.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The first time...I had a computer shop do it and they said that it had a virus that couldn't be cleaned
Stupid shop

the computer took a fall onto asphalt....no physical damage.
None that was externally visible. The drives are potentially shot tho

Could that fall have caused internal problems in the HD and cause my computer to lock up when it reaches the bad spot?
Yep

When I have trouble out of it, the hard drive makes a metallic sliding then clicking...this slide then click lasts for less than one second....it usually occurs multiple times in a row
Sounds like the drive is screwed

Lax

VIP Member
I'm gonna go with exactly what Prae said and say the drive is gone. If the rest of the laptop still works (wouldn't trust it though) you could just buy a new HDD and stick it in there.

My old drive did the same thing when I cut a window into it (I like modding, don't ask, it was old ok, 2gb). After a month it started going:
WHIRRRRRRRRRr
BUZZZZZZZZZZ
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
CLICK
CLICK
BUZZZZZZZZ
WHIRRRRRRRR
CLICK
LOl
repetedly
then it died :(