Stuck in Preparing Automatic Repair and cant reach Safe Mode

gymjunkie

Computer started freezing up and I couldn't close Chrome. Restarted, and computer got stuck on the Restarting screen, so I had to force the tower to shut off by holding the power button.

It was stuck on the black Asrock screen, so I again powered off with the power button, but its stuck on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.

F8 does not take me to Safe Mode when restarting, and I don't see anything about Safe Mode in the boot menu (F11). I've already tried removing all USB devices as well.

My options when rebooting are
F2/DEL for UEFI Setup
F6 for Instant Flash
F11 for Boot Menu
Tab to switch screen

I need this comp for my job. Can anyone help?

Windows 10

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that you have a failing hard drive here. If you know the brand it has, you can download either a usb or cd bootable diagnostic program to test it.

gymjunkie

My guess is that you have a failing hard drive here. If you know the brand it has, you can download either a usb or cd bootable diagnostic program to test it.
I think you're right. It finally booted up after letting it sit for hours in the Restarting screen and now I'm having trouble with folders loading and the clipboard freezing every time I open it.

DavidG

Now you have managed to log in you can try an in-place repair
Assuming windows 10 download the latest iso file from Microsoft (link provided below), right click on the iso file and mount it as a virtual DVD. Open the DVD and run setup. this will perform an inplace repair-upgrade. If you still have problems after that then you have a hardware problem -most likely failing drive but could be RAM or motherboard