Stumped!

busdriverwillie

I was reinstalling Windows XP on my Dad's computer for him. Booted from the CDROM, it started doing the hardware check but when it was suppose to go to the blue windows screen to start installing XP, I got the BSOD. Tried this several times, same thing happened each time. But the computer would still load just fine as if nothing was wrong. I decided to use another computer to try to get XP to install. This time I got it to install XP, but when it restarted the computer, it went into a loop and started reinstalling XP again. Tried this on my computer same result. Booted my computer up with the HDD as a 2nd drive, ran the error check on it, that came up clean. Took it back to my Dad's computer and tried again, but this time the message "checking hardware configuration" would show, but it would then sit at blank screen. I waited a couple of minutes to see if it would finally do something, nothing. Figured it must be the HDD, so I tried my spare HDD in my Dad's computer and got the same result I had first go around. I am completely stumped as to what the problem is. If its the XP installation CD or a hardware issue. The CD is the only thing that has been the same, and I don't have another CD to try. And there is not a Linux partition, I did some looking earlier and this problem seemed to occur because of a Linux partition. Which is not the case here.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If this is a sata hard drive, look in the bios settings to see if you can change the sata controller to IDE instead of raid/ahci. The reason why you are getting the blue screen is mostly because you need the sata controller driver before the install can actually see the drive.