Stupid but easy: Anyone have a DVD drive w/blue status light?

MaxC

I have had an idle problem for about 5 years now. My DVD-RW drive has a green light. It's the only thing on my entire setup w/a non-blue light. My BD drive has blue, keyboard blue, case blue. I have not had much luck finding any DVD drive that -does- have a blue light. Does anyone here have one? If so, what's the model. I will purchase it immediately. Buying a $20 drive is way easier than soldering on a new LED. My current drive is slow and half-broken anyway.

spirit

Staff member
Post a 'want to buy' thread in the For Sale section when you reach 100 posts.

MaxC

I don't actually want to buy someones. I am just curious of a model number so I can go get it. Interesting how they are all green, that color hasn't been in style since the 90s.

FuryRosewood

see about opening up a dvd drive and changing the green LED for a blue? unless its SMD it should be a relatively simple swap...

Jamebonds1

It is very hard to finding DVD player with blue light. There is one way. You can change different LED light by solder those. But it is your highly risk.

wolfeking

banned
The only LED I have seen that is not green is on my Acer laptop, and it is orange. A quick google suggest that the only easy way to get them is in Bluray disks. You can solder your own with the right LED and some basic solder tools, but really you are putting too much effort on one little light.

spirit

Staff member
You can solder your own with the right LED and some basic solder tools, but really you are putting too much effort on one little light.
^ Exactly.

Most Blu-Ray drives (including mine) have a blue light, so just get one of those.