Stupid question....

lmc21

Hi, I am an (un)lucky owner of a Dell Inspiron 5150 and have had an issue with the sound. The resolution to this problem is to replace the motherboard. Yay! Basically I'm not as clued up on components as I'd like so all I need to know is if I install a new motherboard, do I lose everything on my hard drive?
Please try not to be too sarcastic in your replies!
Thanks

Rip_Uk

no everything on your hard drive will remain, you will have to update the drivers when you install a new motherboard though.

lmc21

I'm not sure what I'm going to do really. I contacted Dell and ran the tests on the CD that came with the laptop and the sound has stopped working as has the headphone socket. Dell suggested a new motherboard. As far as I'm aware the sound on this model runs off the motherboard and not on a separate sound card. Or am just being stupid?!

Geoff

VIP Member
You should just get a new sound card (as others have said).

And you shouldnt lose any data if your replacing it with the same motherboard.

Rip_Uk

have you check the audio settings to see if the sound is muted? it sometimes happens on mine. start - settings - control panel - sounds and audio devices, or you might have an icon in your taskbar.

lmc21

yeah I've checked all that kinda stuff. I hate Dell a lot. The sound just fizzled out about a week ago when I was listening to music and hasn't worked since. I was tempted to restore the factory settings to see it that worked but haven't done so.

Rip_Uk

if you get a cheap sound card it will just fit into one of your pci slots inside the computer and then connected with a power cable.

lmc21

Would you be able to recommend one? I'm willing to pay up to £50ish. Will it definately work with this Dell laptop?

lmc21

yeah thats why I thought I couldn't just get a new sound card. A minor detail I left out. Sorry guys!!