Subwoofer leaking red liquid?

crc01001

I recently moved the subwoofer for my 4.1 Altec Lansing ADA885 speaker system and noticed that it left a red sticky substance on the plastic chair mat where it had been sitting. There is no visible spot on the bottom of the subwoofer that I can see where it is coming from. Does anyone know what this could be and if it could cause problems. Thanks.

crc01001

I don't think I've been overpowering it. From what I can tell and what you say, it looks more like a dielectric than an adhesive. If that is the case, then could this cause major problems? Thanks.

heyman421

banned
well, it probably plays a role in cooling the coil to keep it from breaking

make sure it's mounted in the same fashion that it was in the original enclosure.

crc01001

Everything is set up as it was originally, I just moved the location of the subwoofer. I put in a question to Altec Lansing technical support, so hopefully they will know for sure what's going on. Thanks.

heyman421

banned
worse comes to worst, pretend you never noticed it, and keep on trucking.

it's pretty common for excessive adhesive or coolant to burn, and cause strange smells (especially in a car environment, where it's much more concentrated)

so i would imagine it's possible for it to just get hot and drip off as well.

Dual_Corex2

banned
Your subwoofer should NEVER leak any substance of any kind. Even if you overpower it, it shouldnt leak anything. My guess is that it didnt come from the subwoofer.

crc01001

I agree that there should not be any liquid in a subwoofer and should never leak, but that doesn't stop a non-liquid substance from melting and leaking out if it overheats. This same thing has occurred in two different physical locations, so it is definitely coming from the subwoofer. I looked at the bottom of the subwoofer again and I saw a red mark on a couple of the screws that hold the bottom of the case together. Mysterious?!?!

Dual_Corex2

banned
Well actually there is a liquid in subwoofers, however it is nothing that could leak by any means. Im not sure EXACTLY what it is but its around the magnet inside where the voice coil is. However it doesnt touch the coil. Maybe for heat dissapation purposes?

And its more of a goo-ish.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure subs don't have liquids in them... I mean I ripped apart some old speakers a long time ago. At least your basic ones don't have anything :p

The amp and all is in the same box as the sub, isn't it? Perhaps it is something relating to the electronics in there? Though still...even when caps blow and all, there's really only enough liquid to crystallize on the top... You could try to open the sub up, but typically they are sealed to help with bass ports and all...

Archangel

VIP Member
Well actually there is a liquid in subwoofers, however it is nothing that could leak by any means. Im not sure EXACTLY what it is but its around the magnet inside where the voice coil is. However it doesnt touch the coil. Maybe for heat dissapation purposes?

And its more of a goo-ish.

goo-ish stuff is usually used to absorb unwanted vibrations. ;)

evanscnce

I was originally thinking it could be ferro fluid (cools some of my speakers)... But thats not red... So I don't know. I doubt its from the subs though. I think you should give them to me for permenant inspection :p