Sudden computer freeze/crash need to force shutdown.

Jailhouse

Freezes are caused by damaged RAM/HDD right? Since two weeks ago, my computer would randomly freeze. The freeze will occur more frequently when I'm gaming, but even when I'm gaming, it's still absolutely random. Before the freeze, my computer would suddenly run extremely slow for a two seconds at most and I am able to use my mouse during that period of slowness until my computer is fully frozen. When it is fully frozen, I can't use my keyboard and mouse and the only when to stop the freeze is to force my computer to shut down with the power button and turn it back on.
Solutions I've tried:
  • Mimicking this thread's solution and raise the voltage of the Highlighted Setting to 1.6V, but it didn't work. I hope that the DDR3 Voltage setting was the wrong one because after a couple of moments during gaming, it froze. I increased it to 1.65 and I'm still getting freezes. (I may have done something wrong with this one, let me know If I did.)
  • Memtest got no errors (Haven't done one stick at a time. Do you have to remove one stick of RAM and run a memtest, then do the same for the other?).
  • cleaning RAM sockets with compressed air.
Specs:
  • CPU: AMD FX-6100
  • RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Motherboard: GA-78LMT-S2 by Gigabyte
  • Storage: WD10 EZEX-00BN5A0 SATA
  • For age, the original install date is 12/16/2013 so it's around that
That's all of the important information I can think of, feel free to ask more questions if I am missing some.
I will also appreciate it if you tell me what I did wrong for the first solution on the list, and answer the question on the second solution.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its been over 4 years since the last fresh install then I would start with that. That way you would get all your system performance back anyway. But before doing that, I would get the free upgrade to windows 10 as its still available just not advertised. Then once windows 10 is installed, you can do a fresh install of 10. Use the media creation tool to upgrade to 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Look in Event Viewer in windows logs for any signs explaining the freezing.
Do you have to remove one stick of RAM and run a memtest, then do the same for the other?
If you only have 2 sticks then yes. Even though memtest doesn't say there are errors you still may have bad ram. I was having issues years ago that I knew was because of bad ram but memtest said no. It took about 6 months for memtest to finally say there was.

Jailhouse

It took a while, but I used memtest separately on both sticks of RAM and got no errors.
I don't think I can use Event Viewer because I don't think the error logs will be recorded since I have to shut down my computer.
Using Win 10 and reinstalliing my drivers now, no crashes so far.

Jailhouse

I'm no longer getting freezes after I downloaded Win10. Even though the freezes are random, they haven't occurred when I'm gaming, which is where they frequently happen. Thanks for the suggestion.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
'm no longer getting freezes after I downloaded Win10. Even though the freezes are random,
Contradicting here. Unless you meant the freezing before installing windows 10. Is it fine now or does it still freeze?