Sudden Windows Crash leads to Broken SSD?

Knut

Hey Guys,

I was just browsing the internet when suddenly my computer made a strange beeping sound and then shut down. I turned the computer on again and received the error message:

Boot Manager:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2.Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3.Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

So I took out my Windows 7 installation disk and I tried to repair, but my SSD (Kingston Hyper X 3k) Did not show. I went back into my BIOS and noticed that my motherboard had recognized my second WD Hard drive, but not the SSD. Since it could not be recognized I think the SSD has died. I still have a warranty and I have had the part for 1 year.

First of all I would like to know if you guys also think that the SSD is the problem? Also I have some questions when it comes to the recovery of data, How will i recover the data on the SSD? If there is not a possibility of doing that, and I get a new SSD, will my Windows 7 license still work even though I am installing windows for a second time? I also have a backup of the computer on the secondary hard drive on the computer if this helps.

I really need a response as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Knut

Last edited:

red onion

Dear Knut,

It looks like your SSD is at fault.
There should be no issue with installing Windows again, as most of your hardware has not changed, just the SSD.
Having a backup is excellent; with that you should not have to worry about the data on the SSD.
it *might* be possible to recover some of the data if you connect the SSD to another system, but I don't think it likely. I would just see about getting the SSD replaced.

Good luck.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
So I took out my Windows 7 installation disk and I tried to repair, but my SSD (Kingston Hyper X 3k) Did not show. I went back into my BIOS and noticed that my motherboard had recognized my second WD Hard drive, but not the SSD. Since it could not be recognized I think the SSD has died. I still have a warranty and I have had the part for 1 year.

First of all I would like to know if you guys also think that the SSD is the problem? Also I have some questions when it comes to the recovery of data, How will i recover the data on the SSD? If there is not a possibility of doing that, and I get a new SSD, will my Windows 7 license still work even though I am installing windows for a second time? I also have a backup of the computer on the secondary hard drive on the computer if this helps.

SSDs can fail just like HDDs, often with little or no warning (unlike HDDs which usually "tell" you when they start to die). I've limped along on a failing HDD for weeks after I knew it was on it's way out, and, conversely, had a SSD fubar literally over the course of 5 minutes.

Yes, Win7 will still work, just need to activate it again. Very easy and probably requires no effort on your part other than to simply install it.

Edit: And no idea why I replied to a week-old Thread. This is what I get for leaving the OT area, my bad ;)