suddenly can't connect to the internet

remeday86

I have an HP tx1000 laptop. Windows Vista.

Earlier today i was connected to the internet on my laptop (just check email) but I had to go out so I turned off my computer.

When I came back, my laptop wouldn't connect. :confused:
My wireless switch turned red. I did a few attempts and I still couldn't connect.

1) I tried to find my network or any networks that would be available but no list of networks was showing.

2) I did a "diagnose on why windows can't find any networks" and it said "This computer does not have a wirless network adapter installed and configured" but why would it say that when I just and have been connected to the internet before.

3) I went to control panel>Network and sharing center and did a "diagnose and repair" and it said "A cable is not plugged into the network adapter 'Local Area connection'. Now I am not sure what that means (and hoping for some clarification) but I think my cables have been properly plugged. My wireless routers have not been touched. I am using my desktop computer right now so it means that I do have internet access. It's just my laptop that just suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. Like I said, i was able to connect to the internet earlier in the day and I did not install nor did anything during that time except check email. No one came to my room so im sure no plugs were unplugged and no wires were moved. (i think)
--> I also went control panel>network and sharing center and went to manage network connections and found that the local area connection was unplugged. I have a NVIDA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet and I disabled and enabled this device. No changed. I diagnose this connection and it still said a cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection". Perhaps I do not know what that means and what it's telling me so please help.

4) I did an ipconfig/all and it showed me my IP configuration. I am not sure if anyone wants to see it and be of relevance. PLEASE let me know if it's important to helping me solve this. Thanks

5) I went to device manager and went to network adaptors. I disabled and enabled my wireless card and wire card and restarted the laptop. No change. Wireless light was still red and I still couldnt get any networks.

Can someone please help me to such a common but most of the time agitating problem. :confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the device manager say as far as the wireless driver being properly installed? You may have to uninstall the driver and then install the latest driver. Do you get internet if you hook up an ethernet cable to it instead of using the wireless? The cable is not connected error is for the lan connection, which should go away when you hook up an ethernet cable to it from the router.

remeday86

Thank you for your response Johnb :)

Whats the device manager say as far as the wireless driver being properly installed?

-->The device manager window just shows me the devices of what I have in my system including my network adapters. I have a wireless card called Microscoft ISATAP Adapter #11 and a wire card called NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet. I clicked the properties of the wireless card (Microsft ISATAP Adapter #11) and says on the device status "This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). Click 'Check for solutions to the send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available." I clicked on that button and a small window popped and disappeared quickly and nothing happened.:confused: I even did an update this driver software and it says the device is up to date.
I clicked the properties of wire card (NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet) and the status says the device is working properly.

You may have to uninstall the driver and then install the latest driver.

--> If I uninstall one of the drivers above (probably the Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor #11), are you sure I can easily install them back? I don't have any CD or anything to install these devices back and I am scared I will loose them. :( Is it easy like disabling and enabling them? lol

Do you get internet if you hook up an ethernet cable to it instead of using the wireless?

--> I can't get internet for my laptop because it does not have an ethernet port so therefore I have to connect using my wireless router.

The cable is not connected error is for the lan connection, which should go away when you hook up an ethernet cable to it from the router.

--> My ethernet cable is and has been connected to the wireless router. No wires has been unplugged since I moved in which was 2 years ago.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you do have an ethernet port because this is the driver for it.

NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Can you give me the exact model number of your laptop? The tx1000 is a general series of laptops.

remeday86

Yes, you do have an ethernet port because this is the driver for it.

NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Can you give me the exact model number of your laptop? The tx1000 is a general series of laptops.

Oh YEAh! I Do! I didnt see it before. haha. sorry.
But anyway, i still would like to connect via wireless.
I want to determine if I can still connect using it or if my wireless router is working properly.

My laptop is an HP Pavillion tx1000 Notebook PC.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look on the bottom of the laptop for the EXACT Model Number of laptop you have. I said the tx1000 is a general series and has many model numbers. I'm trying to figure out what wireless card is in your machine.

remeday86

Look on the bottom of the laptop for the EXACT Model Number of laptop you have. I said the tx1000 is a general series and has many model numbers. I'm trying to figure out what wireless card is in your machine.

439112-001

is that it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, its not. Look on one of the stickers, it will be listed as model number usually. Something like TX1xxxyy, where x's are numbers and y's are letters, example is TX1008au

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have a broadcom wireless adapter. So if in device manager you don't see a listing saying that then you have a hardware issue with the wireless adapter. You MAY need a bios update or its just going out on you. You may want to contact HP if its still in warranty.

linksys

You have a broadcom wireless adapter. So if in device manager you don't see a listing saying that then you have a hardware issue with the wireless adapter. You MAY need a bios update or its just going out on you. You may want to contact HP if its still in warranty.

it sounds like it tried to update the driver and failed becauses he was on the internet then just quit after a shut down. in the device manager right click on the wireless adapter click properties and click the driver tab and try to rollback the driver see if it will let you do that

remeday86

it sounds like it tried to update the driver and failed becauses he was on the internet then just quit after a shut down. in the device manager right click on the wireless adapter click properties and click the driver tab and try to rollback the driver see if it will let you do that

Thanks but I cant do roll back driver :(
Is there anything else?

bkribbs

or do you have a cd that came with your laptop with the drivers on it? you could try it from there

remeday86

try this uninstall the old one if you havent already and go to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3548575#N1812 click on driver-network and download the broadcom wireless lan driver

and install

Are you sure this is okay? :(I bought my laptop on ebay and the seller didnt provide me a recovery disk. So I am scared if I might do this incorrectly.

I'm kind of scared to uninstall drives so can I just execute the new one and hopefully it will just rewrite over (or fix) the old one.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Are you sure this is okay? :(I bought my laptop on ebay and the seller didnt provide me a recovery disk. So I am scared if I might do this incorrectly.

I'm kind of scared to uninstall drives so can I just execute the new one and hopefully it will just rewrite over (or fix) the old one.

If you mess up the driver (not the drive) while uninstalling that is no big deal. Linksys is saying that you should uninstall the wireless driver with system manager and then reinstall it

remeday86

try this uninstall the old one if you havent already and go to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3548575#N1812 click on driver-network and download the broadcom wireless lan driver

and install

I uninstalled the old one. And I download the broadcom wireless lan driver, saved it on desktop and excuted the file. It installed and I rebooted.
But I still don't have wireless. Now I don't have any wireless adapter installed. Now what?

linksys

I uninstalled the old one. And I download the broadcom wireless lan driver, saved it on desktop and excuted the file. It installed and I rebooted.
But I still don't have wireless. Now I don't have any wireless adapter installed. Now what?

ok just to clarify you uninstalled the old wireless driver correct?
you restarted the machine correct ??

now it shows no wireless connection in the device manager correct?

remeday86

ok just to clarify you uninstalled the old wireless driver correct?
you restarted the machine correct ??

now it shows no wireless connection in the device manager correct?

Yes I unstalled the old wireless driver, Microsft ISATAP Adapter #11.
Then I saved the file from the website you gave me. I opened it and it was uploading stuffs. Then on the bottem right of my screen a window popped up and said it was installing a new driver and then it went to completion. So i restarted. Nothing happened. I checked if the device manager if anything new but it only showed me only one driver (the NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet).

So i figured I must've installed it wrong. So i extracted the saved file from the website and click on the setup.exe filed. It uploaded some stuffs and it said something about Broadcom Wireless Lan installed.
Then i restarted my computer.

Then nothing happened. So i checked in the device manager if anything changed. I only had one wire card (the NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000) and that was working properly in the beginning. I use to have the nvidia and the microsoft.

:confused:

linksys

Ok in device manager on the toolbar click ACTION click scan for hardware changes and tell me what it comes up with