Suggestions needed

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Ok, im thinking of getting one of these two cards:

ATI 3870 (saphire)
or
Nvidia 8800GTS(G92) (EVGA)

what do you think would be better? im going to use it for gaming, games like BF2, CoD4 and any newer games, maybe Crysis later on.

Im also open to other suggestions, ive also consitered doing SLI or Crossfire.

What do you guys think?

all thoughts are welcome and will be greatly appriciated :)
Thanks,
Mike

Vestitor

Yeah, I would go with the HD3870 or the 9600gt.
For what know both of those are better than the 8800gts..

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Well for those games (BF2 and COD4) the HD3870 will do an amazing job (from my experience). I can max out COD4 with rig in my sig. You said though, that you might wanna try Crysis. If that's the case, and if you don't have a really good CPU/RAM combo, get the 8800GTS. Otherwise you can make a good HD3870/CPU/RAM combo and still be able to play Crysis smoothly.

You can ask ThatGuy16 who has a HD3870 setup and see what he gets. Or Kornowski, he's running the 8800GTS. PM them to get some comments. :)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
well here's the set-up im working towards:

Case: Undecided, possibly the NZXT Apollo if i go mid-sized, or the Apevia if i go full sized (maybe the Thermaltake Armor that runs for $130) SO MANY TO CHOSE FROM!!! :D

CPU: Intel E8400

PSU: OCZ 700 watt gameXstream SLI ready

GPU: undecided, most likely the 3870, 8800GTS(G92) or MAYBE a step up to the 8800GTX

RAM: 4 GB G-Skill 800 (4x1GB)

Monitor: LG flatron 22"

MOBO: undecided

then if the budget allows, i'll get a G15 keyboard and Razor Death Adder mouse (maybe a new headset, because i think the MIC on mine is dead :( )

MBGraphics

VIP Member
I have thought also of getting 2 3870's for Crossfire, but wasnt sure if it would be worth it or not. I have also thought of getting 2 8800 GT's for SLI, again, wasnt sure if it would be worth it or not.

Im just trying to get the best set-up possible for my money, so that im not having to constantly upgrade, just do single upgrades here and there along the way..

As said before, im up for ANY suggestions that anybody has, thanks for the imput so far, it's greatly appriciated :)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
It would be worth it because the HD3870 is the highest end card on the ATI side (not taking in account the HD3870X2). On the other hand, the 8800GT would be only kinda worth it since it is definately not the best nVidia card. When getting dual cards, you wanna make sure that you get the most that you can, because it is always easier and better to get 1 x high end card than 2 x mid/low end cards. :)

Hope I took my point across! ;)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Yeah, your point really does make sense..I which is why i trew in the thought of biting the bullet and getting 1 8800GTX, but wasnt sure what the wiser choice was, so i came to you guys :)

Im leaning towards 2 3870's right now, but it's definatly not the final decision yet.

evil-xxx

whatever card which you finally buy for the same price is gonna be only a few fps difference in a few games.I mean,you really neednt regard it as a big deal.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
thats true, but i just want the best of the best for what i can afford, every little bit counts to me. But i do know these cards are all fairly equal, each having their own advantages and disadvantages.