CPU - Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz
MB - ASRock H61M/U3S3
RAM - 2x G.Skill RJX 4gb (Dual)
GPU - Sapphire 5850 Extreme 1gb/256bit ddr5
PSU - Antec TruePower New 750Watts
HDD - Seagate 1tb 7200.12
Monitor - 2 x Samsung 22"inch
Case - Corsair 600T

Just for general use. Surfing net, music & movies, excel, Lightroom 3, viewing and editing pictures and some gaming like SC2.

what do you think?

jonnyp11

gpu is overkill for that stuff, i'm not sure about lightroom but doubt it needs that much, a 6770 will probably be fine, a 2500k will be faster and allow you to overclock, if not overclocking the 2400 or 500 is fine then, that psu is way overkill, 550-600 watts will do, try to get 50 more than the minimum from a brand like antec or corsair, a samsung f3 is faster i believe and i know it's like 5 less, also a p67 or z68 motherboard is better, and i'd recomend a ssd for the os and like lightroom, they will load much faster o it, but they are expensive for little memory, and also try to get ddr3 1600mhz ram if ou can, where do you plan to order from? and don't forget a copy of windows, you'll need a 64-bit oem builder's disk.

linkin

VIP Member
Still, if he can afford it, it's nice to have when you want to game. I'd suggest a newer generation GPU (6950)

That PSU is overkill, you'll be fine with a quality 550w from Antec/XFX/Silverstone/Corsair etc.

Switch the HDD for a Samsung F3 1TB or WD Caviar Black.

Nice choice on the 600T, I'm getting one next week (I hope)

rustynail925

what about diablo 3 in the future? Is it still overkill?
I really dont have an idea about overclocking.. But is it a big advantage to overclock?
If it is can you recommend me something for it..
Also i dont know how the sdd works..
which is the better going ssd or getting an i7,overclocking, upgrade motherboard?

I have a core 2 duo for now and 4gb memory but still the lightroom lags when there is too many picture..

rustynail925

Howd you measure the psu?
why Samsung F3 1TB or WD Caviar Black. ive read some reviews and the seagate 1tb 7200.12 was the best.. whats the different of F3, caviar black and seagate 7200.12?

Troncoso

VIP Member
why Samsung F3 1TB or WD Caviar Black. ive read some reviews and the seagate 1tb 7200.12 was the best.. whats the different of F3, caviar black and seagate 7200.12?

Some people don't like Sea gate. I think they are great. I've had mine for 3 years so far with no issues at all. All my drives have only ever been sea gate and I've only had one issue with Newegg sending me a bad one, though it was a refurbished model so I don't blame that so much on Sea gate.

wolfeking

banned
Just brand loality. Ive had a few seagate drives, and never had a issue with them. I swear by WD though, simply because they have plenty of choices and good reliability, even in a rough situation (which no HDD should be in anyway).

what about diablo 3 in the future? Is it still overkill?
I really dont have an idea about overclocking.. But is it a big advantage to overclock?
If it is can you recommend me something for it..
Also i dont know how the sdd works..
which is the better going ssd or getting an i7,overclocking, upgrade motherboard?

I have a core 2 duo for now and 4gb memory but still the lightroom lags when there is too many picture..
Overclocking will make your Processor faster. With a K series intel, overclocking is as simple as changing the multi. an idiot couldnt mess it up.
YOu will need a cooler though. the intel ones arent great for a stock processor and will kill an OC'd one.
SSD will make everything loaded to it go faster. OCd 2500k and SSD would be the best option. Along with some good 1600Mhz ram (its around the same price as 1333MHz now.)

rustynail925

ssd costs like a processor.. id just upgrade the motherboard and ram to 1600mhz
and ill just skip the overclocking to avoid risking the processor.
howd you guys measure the psu ? howd you know its overkill

wolfeking

banned
the average SATA-3 SSD is going to be about 10x faster than the fastest mechanical drive. Its flash memory (like USB flashkeys), thus has no moving parts and accesses the memory at somewhere around the speed of light.
Having one installed will help a lot, especially with your editing software.

Risking the processor really isnt a factor with a 2500k. Just bump the multi until its unstable, then back it off by 2 and youll be fine. Just speed dont equal heat. Its voltage increases that add heat.

The PSU is the last thing to look into. Mainly the GPU and CPU factor into the PSU wattage.

95 Watts - 2500k
354 Watts - HD5870 @ load
~50 watts - RAM, HDD, optical media, PCI/PCI-e power and such.

mihir

VIP Member
the average SATA-3 SSD is going to be about 10x faster than the fastest mechanical drive. Its flash memory (like USB flashkeys), thus has no moving parts and accesses the memory at somewhere around the speed of light.
Having one installed will help a lot, especially with your editing software.

Risking the processor really isnt a factor with a 2500k. Just bump the multi until its unstable, then back it off by 2 and youll be fine. Just speed dont equal heat. Its voltage increases that add heat.

The PSU is the last thing to look into. Mainly the GPU and CPU factor into the PSU wattage.

95 Watts - 2500k
354 Watts - HD5870 @ load
~50 watts - RAM, HDD, optical media, PCI/PCI-e power and such.

I think that is for the entire system.
The TDP for HD 5870 is 188W.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090914/ati-radeon-hd-5870-has-a-tdp-of-188w/

rustynail925

I see. so whatever is stored in the ssd you will be able to acess it much much faster than upgrading cpu or ram? ..For example if i will be using lightroom and the files are on a different hard drive would it still help? that also means the windows os will be installed on the ssd right?

mihir

VIP Member
SSD will basically improve your load times, that is stuff which you want to load from your hard disk to the memory, that will happen faster with an SSD since the seek time is negligible.

It is not a must buy kind of thing but if your job requires loading a lot of stuff on the memory from the OS Drive itself then getting the SSD would be a wise decision for you.

wolfeking

banned
I see. so whatever is stored in the ssd you will be able to acess it much much faster than upgrading cpu or ram? ..For example if i will be using lightroom and the files are on a different hard drive would it still help? that also means the windows os will be installed on the ssd right?
true.
Throw any program that you depend on fast loads in onto the SSD and you will be happy. Also put Windows 7 on the SSD. Put Data and other programs on a data HDD and you will have the capacity you need.

rustynail925

about overclocking lets say you have an i5 2500 and you overclock it. The speed and performance will increase like its an i7 something.. And when you overclock you'll be needing some more fans or liquid cooling system so that will cost you at the same time
when you can just buy an i7 something and theres no need to overclock and buy some cooling system and fans.
Am i making some sense on this or i got it wrong?

jonnyp11

no, you have to get the 2500k to overclock, the other non k's multipliers are locked so overclocking isn't effective, bit a good cooler is needed to get a good overclock, and also the i5 performs the same as the i7 in every way other than the very few programs that are thre made for 8 cores, but the i7 is trying to be an 8 core and it does a little better on those programs, otherwise they perform the same.

jonnyp11

no, it's better to get the i5 2500k and then a good cooler like this one i'll link bellow, then overclock it, and it will perform the exact same as the i7 at the same speeds, the i7 is a waste of money for gaming, only useful if you want to do video editing where you are en/decoding large files

this is supposed to be one of the best price/performance coolers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

this is supposed to be one of the best water coolers, will be harder to install and keep up, but will hit really high ghz's, could prob get to like 5ghz with this puppy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

rustynail925

thank you for the advice..
it has to be i5 2500k right? not i5 2400
then ill get those 2 coolers.
are those 2 gonna be put inside and if i ask where exactly

sorry for the noob question i havent tried about overclocking or experience it
but i heard a lot about that

jonnyp11

the 2400 has a lower speed and is locked against overclocking so yes, the 2500k is a must, and you only need 1 of those, can't do both, the first is fine and will be easier, the second is harder to install and you must keep it up, but will let you go faster, should probably get the first and play with it for now untill you are more experienced, but make sure you read some tutorials on overclocking before you screw everything up, it is easy to go too far too fast and break something

rustynail925

just out of curiousity how much faster does overclocking improve?
if i get a case like the corsair 600t that would probably help a lot.