Supposed Budget Build..Gone Wild?

Phippsp

New Member
Started build with $400 budget but ended up with this close to $600...
I feel this set up is a very good set up for upgrades for future with Directx 11, crossfire ability, DDR3 memory, possibility to unlock to quad core.

But I would defiantly like to hear from you guys if you see anything in here iffy or something you see that I could do better by saving or hey if it cost maybe $10 bucks more or so and you think its worth it let me know.

I wouldn't mind brining the price down but I am willing to pay!

case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154098
HD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075
MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402
GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316
CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

Usage - Games :: Graphic Design :: 3D :: Video Editing :: Web Surfing

Already have PSU :: Already have optical dri
ves



Thanks
 
Last edited:
I am not sure if that board allows you to unlock cores and then deactivate the bad one or not. If it does I would go for the Phenom II 550 try to unlock it to a quad and if not stable then find the bad core deactivate it then run it as a triple core. It would be better than the 720 for less if the board supports this feature. Just a suggestion ...

I am pretty sure that board will unlock cores but not sure if it allows you to deactivate one core if it is defective or not...
 
Last edited:
I am not sure if that board allows you to unlock cores and then deactivate the bad one or not. If it does I would go for the Phenom II 550 try to unlock it to a quad and if not stable then find the bad core deactivate it then run it as a triple core. It would be better than the 720 for less if the board supports this feature. Just a suggestion ...

would it be better to just purchase this then?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

actually reading some stuff quick on what you said about unlocking is that it is able to unlock cores. And that I should probably get the triple cause it said it was able to unlock most likely 1 core. So I updated my list above to add in the 720.
 
Last edited:
the 720 is not a bad cpu but the only area it beats the 550 is in multitasking.

my opinion is either the 550 or jump to the 955 for great multitasking.
 
the 720 is not a bad cpu but the only area it beats the 550 is in multitasking.

my opinion is either the 550 or jump to the 955 for great multitasking.

So the only area it beats it in is multitasking? Would that be because of it only being a 2.8 and the 550 a 3.1?
 
Last edited:
The 550 will if overclocked and get to 3.8 very safely with a better cooler. The max I have seen the 720 is 3.5ghz with better cooler. The only advantage is the 720 has 3 cores vs 2 cores for better multitasking. I would perfer higher clocked dual core than a lower clocked triple core but that is my opinion.
 
Awesome makes sense to me thanks for the information!

On another note what do you think of the video card its about $151 but is the only one with that nice cooling system attached to it think its called passive cooling. Their is a few for cheaper but the cooling seems to not move the air it sucks in out of the case like these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161309

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127460

do you think its wise to solo purchase that one little more expansive card only on the cooler?
 
No there are more stream processors on the 5770.

yup, 720 vs. 800.



O, OP, i would personally go with nvidia because of there cuda tech. I presonally havent seen much support of ati's "stream" technology, and i see "cuda" on tons of things, i personally have 3 programs that are sped up by cuda, my video encoding is soo much better

CPU time:10minutes
CPU+GPU time:4minutes

Simply amazing...
So personally i would go with a 260gtx or 250gts.
 
yup, 720 vs. 800.



O, OP, i would personally go with nvidia because of there cuda tech. I presonally havent seen much support of ati's "stream" technology, and i see "cuda" on tons of things, i personally have 3 programs that are sped up by cuda, my video encoding is soo much better

CPU time:10minutes
CPU+GPU time:4minutes

Simply amazing...
So personally i would go with a 260gtx or 250gts.

ya that sounds all good and all I was always a nVidia person but this build I been seeing AMD are doing much better specially with their chipsets so I guess I am going to head for ATI this time around.
 
Back
Top