Supposedly GPU problem

Flaminator

Hellohello all beautiful people out there!
I come with an issue. For the past 2 week, I've had performance issues, meaning whole computer has been laggy no matter what I run, small or big programs. I usually have a stable fps (in games) and performance with minimal lag.
I've tried the suggestions/solutions on some support pages, but to no avail. Tried changing all graphic settings to low, performing a clean Graphics Driver install, but does not seem to help. I performed a clean windows install once and it seemed to fix the problem for a few hours, but it wasn't lasting. After a mere few hours later, the problem came back, and I had nothing else installed other than Graphic Drivers, Windows updates, LeagueofLegends and Skype.
I should also note that I've tried disabling everything on startup (That is not Windows related), but nothing there either. The CPU seems to spike to 100% in usage whenever I open a program and RAM also goes up a bit. The storage drives does not seem to be the problem either.

I come here pleading for help on this issue as I'm unable to play any games on my computer :(

You will find relevant info on attached files, I hope.

I run a - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (Fully updated)
- Windows 7 Home Premium (Fully updated)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670k CPU @ 3.40GHz Quad core
- 8GB Ram (2x4GB, Hyper Fury)
- 750W CPU
- 4TB in Harddrives (SSD(OS) - HDD - HDD)

Regards,
Flaminator

Resource Monitor - https://gyazo.com/3f82d1d4fc767cf9e25ee5639aff1ba9
Task Manager - https://gyazo.com/d8d500833e2e5c891feaef69011c99e1

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the whole computer has been laggy then you need to check cpu temps. Another possibility is a failing hard drive.

Flaminator

If the whole computer has been laggy then you need to check cpu temps. Another possibility is a failing hard drive.
I checked the CPU temps, and they seem to revolve around 65 C, it doesn't seem like the issue from my perspective.
I did some checking on the Harddrives as well, but it said they were in good health.

beers

Staff member
Indeed, if 65C when you aren't doing much with the PC then that's a huge problem.

I'd check if the fan is still spinning, dust out the heatsink with compressed air and potentially replace the thermal paste if that doesn't help.

Flaminator

65 degrees at idle or load? If at Idle, thats too hot.
You are right, it seems to be the CPU. I had a water cooling system which I just now swapped back to original, and it's running smoother. So as Beers is suggesting, I should try cleaning the CPU and additionally replace the thermal paste?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Was the heatsink on correctly? Any time you remove heatsink, you have to remove and reapply thermal paste.

Flaminator

Was the heatsink on correctly? Any time you remove heatsink, you have to remove and reapply thermal paste.
Yeah, heatsink was correctly attached. As for reapplying the thermal paste, I'll have to buy some first, and then I'll be doing that. Should I stick to the original CPU fan or should I keep using the watercooling after reapplying thermal paste?