Suspend ok?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm just curious if it is better/worse/the same to leave a computer in suspend rather than shut it down. This new comp I have basically shuts down for suspend(all fans, lights, etc stop) but when you cut it back on, it resumes to windows. No post or anything. Pretty nice for someone who doesn't like waiting on one to boot ;P

This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure all is safe, ya know. I love my new computer :rolleyes:

apj101

VIP Member
Could i bolt a question onto that -
I heard that it is "best" (in term of life length) to leave your computer on all the time. Is this true?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've heard that before too. I beleive I heard that's if your using it a lot, it's better than cutting it on and off. Like, I like mine one all day, then shut down or suspend at night.

adam1mc

It's give and take one way or another. Some people say that drives are like light bulbs. The more you turn them on and off, the quicker they will wear down. Those same people say that it's best to leave them on all the time.

Then there are others who say that it's best to turn them off, because by leaving them on they spin constantly and will burn out the motor more quickly. And also it consumes power.

Most newer systems have "Stand-By" or "Hibernate" mode. Hibernate really sucks and I recommend staying away from it. Hibernate will shut down pretty much every aspect of the system when its not in use. My experience though is that it is hard to wake the computer after being hibernated.

Suspend or Standby mode is much better. It will shut off most aspects but still leave the harddrive active. So when a user comes back to the machine it can quickly be restored.

Personally, I never turn my machine off. But it's all up to you. To change the power settings go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Beleive me, this is NOT hibernation! I Hibernation simply stores what's in the RAM and shuts it down. My comp has this disabled, and normally you have to wait for it to dump what's in the RAM to the HD, which I don't. It's areally nice suspend, but as with any comp, I wasn't sure if it's the best option since it's still on with some aspects. Heck my old comp wouldn't suspend. When I woke it up, it would lock up within a couple minutes every time...

Bobo

banned
The_Other_One said:
I've heard that before too. I beleive I heard that's if your using it a lot, it's better than cutting it on and off. Like, I like mine one all day, then shut down or suspend at night.
I have had 2 IGPs blow out after being turned on and off a lot...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have had 2 IGPs blow out after being turned on and off a lot...
What do you mean by "turned on and off a lot"?

Windows has some issues when dealing with S1 and S3 power states and such (which have been addressed) so if you update your OS you should be ok :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Answer = who cares and it doesnt matter. Power supplies and electronics arent circa 1970-1980 anymore when that kinda stuff mattered

Classic_house

I leave my laptop on all the time to keep the room warm in winter... after buying the laptop i cannot afford gas... :)

I need to just load up a game and hey presto my laptop is as hot as the sun... Cheap heating!

cell4me

banned
In my opinion it is better to leave it on all the time because of the solder joints they get warm and then cold everytime you turn your pc on and off and after time they will crack!

speedyink

VIP Member
I turn my laptop on in the morning, and when I go out or something I put it into sleep mode. At night I turn it off. My desktop I turn it on in the morning and leave it running all day then turn it off at night. I dont think suspending it will hurt your computer. It will take over 10 years for the solder points to wear out (my 10 year old computer which got frequently turned off and on is still perfectly fine.) Dont worry about it, by the time something does happen your system will be completely obsolete anyway. And if you still want to keep it you just take it to the shop to solder the points back on, or do it yourself.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion it is better to leave it on all the time because of the solder joints they get warm and then cold everytime you turn your pc on and off and after time they will crack!
Yeah that was the case way back in the day but not with modern manufacturing processes anymore.