"Switch" and "Router"

mcyi9ky2

Are there any difference between "switch" and "router"? i know router can be used to share broadband, but can the "switch" do that as well? Thanks

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You need mulitple IP address to get ANY of them working...

OK, a switch is simply made to connect many computers together. A consumer router(yeah, they are quite different from the 'real' ones :p) are made to connect a network to a WAN port(cable/DSL modem) If you have a multiport router, it too has a switch built into it.

LittleHoov

if im not mistaken a hub broadcasts the signal intended for one computer to all computers attached to the hub, whereas a switch sends it specifically to the intended computer, a switch is more intelligent than a hub

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Trizoy said:
A switch is much more efficient that a router and/or hub also.
Semi correct. The basic netowrking for a router is the same as a switch because they use a switch ;)

LittleHoov said:
if im not mistaken a hub broadcasts the signal intended for one computer to all computers attached to the hub, whereas a switch sends it specifically to the intended computer, a switch is more intelligent than a hub
You're backwards ;) Or I think... It's been too long since I took cisco... Though you are correct, a switch is more intelligent than a hub.

Trizoy

VIP Member
The_Other_One said:
Semi correct. The basic netowrking for a router is the same as a switch because they use a switch ;)

Well actually no, A router deals with assigning ip's, firewalling and many other things while a switch just sends information LIKE a hub- but a hub sends and information from one computer and receives it into all computers... Basically it sends the information coming in, to all computers on the hub. This is called background noise. This can be bad when you link many hubs together.. But if you linked a switch together with many other switches... it would be fine.. No background noise, and information is only sent to the solo receiving computer. A switch IS more intelligent, and better to use if you have more than 5 computers.. :) Or you can use a combination thereof if you wish.