Switching around my fans?

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by The VCR King, Feb 4, 2017.

1. The VCR King

The VCR King Well-Known Member

Should I switch around which way some of my fans blow? My PC only has two real exhaust fans, the two on the top. Everything else, the front, rear, and side, are all intake. So 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust. Should I switch them?

2. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

How many on each side? If you have 3 front, 2 top and 1 back, I´d make the back an exhaust to create a wind tunnel.

martinhersey likes this.
  3. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

You could flip the rear one. Otherwise you likely won't notice much of a difference.

4. The VCR King

There are 2 intake on the front, one intake on the left side, one intake on the rear, and 2 exhaust on the top.

I'll probably flip the rear one next time I have the PC apart to dust it out.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

The side huh? Wouldn't know what to do with that one. Switch the rear one and you'll be good to go.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Rear and top should be exhaust, front and side should be intake. As the saying goes, heat rises.

voyagerfan99 likes this.
  7. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

Yay nailed it!

8. Okedokey

Okedokey Well-Known Member

Yeah agreed with John. If you have more intakes than exhausts you reduce dust (positive pressure) with lower performance. Conversely, more exhaust with less intake is better cooling but more dust (negative pressure).

9. The VCR King

Current setup now:
    2x 120mm intake front, 1x 120mm intake left side, 2x 120mm exhaust top, 1x 120mm exhaust rear.

Future plans:
    1x 200mm intake front, 1x 140mm intake left side, 1x 200mm exhaust top, and 1x 120mm exhaust rear.

10. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

FTFY ;)

beers and C4C like this.