Switching to Intel

ZeroWing

New Member
I am switching from AMD to Intel and here is what I decided on. Wanted to run it by you guys 1 last time before I order. Buying Q6600 over the E8400 because I have yet to see any amazing difference in FPS in games and quad core just sounds kewler :). Theres no way im going to crossfire ever so thats why I chose a mobo with 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182161

Q6600: (I will OC it to check frames vs stock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

CPU Cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

GFX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121269

Let me know what you guys think :).

Thinking about getting the Zalman since it wud look nice in my case with the blue LED but it probably isnt worth the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
 
Last edited:
Any specific reason for that brand of motherboard? If not, I'd recommend a slight upgrade to a name brand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131336

Is DDR3 really important to you? I'm running DDR2 1066 and have no issues what so ever, I have tracer memory so I can see the activity and surprisingly there really isn't too much activity while playing games. Some more than others, but DDR3 IMO is a waste of money right now..

Other than that good choices and I envy your X2.
 
I would look at the GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard - $104 (with shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128347&Tpk=GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L

RAM recommendation:

SUPER TALENT 2 gigabyte (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $51 (with shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609026

Or if you want 4 gigabytes of RAM:

SUPER TALENT 4 gigabytes (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $77 (with shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609218&Tpk=Super Talent 4gb PC2 6400

For $300 you can get yourself a really good video card. I think the video card you selected is over priced.
 
super micro, i have no idea on them making standard desktop boards(they do make excellent quality server boards) i think you would be fine with it, and i think you could either get a gtx 260 for 300 dollars or a 4870 for 300 dollars(around that)
 
The "VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870" video card looks to be a good video card. A lot of people like it on NewEgg.com.

Take a look and it's only $260 (shipping costs included).

But you will want a good power supply with this video card as it is power hungry as are all the high end video cards.
 
Yes, the 4870 is amazing to say the least.. No game I play can slow this thing down. And power wise it's really not as bad as I expected, I'm running my whole system in sig off of an Enermax Liberty 500W 80 Plus Certified PSU, now granted its 80 Plus, I can barely get this thing to put any heat out. With my old system (6400 X2 BE, 8800GTS) this thing felt like a hair dryer and sounded like one as well. So I'm pretty impressed with the 4870's power consumption, just get yourself a good 500+ watt PSU and you'll be fine.
 
Yes, the 4870 is amazing to say the least.. No game I play can slow this thing down. And power wise it's really not as bad as I expected, I'm running my whole system in sig off of an Enermax Liberty 500W 80 Plus Certified PSU, now granted its 80 Plus, I can barely get this thing to put any heat out. With my old system (6400 X2 BE, 8800GTS) this thing felt like a hair dryer and sounded like one as well. So I'm pretty impressed with the 4870's power consumption, just get yourself a good 500+ watt PSU and you'll be fine.

Crysis 1680x1050 on MAX with AA on MAX. Try to do that!
 
Crysis 1680x1050 on MAX with AA on MAX. Try to do that!

I can do that, I usually play it on 1600x1200 everything maxed but AA on 2X and get anywhere from 20-40 FPS. Having AA maxed is really rather pointless at that high of a resolution IMO.
 
With my old system (6400 X2 BE, 8800GTS) this thing felt like a hair dryer and sounded like one as well.

What brand of video card was it? You probably just picked a video card that had a noisy fan. I am currently saving my money to buy a PNY VCG88512GXEB-FLB GeForce 8800 video card at $111.
 
is there a price drop any time soon for the 4xxx series cards? i can hold out if its within this year. I thought about getting a 4870 for a while but I just suddenly chose to go 4870X2 cause it is a monster though $550 is a lot to spend on a graphics card. I have a 52" plasma TV in my game room I could always hook my PC up to for kicks, how would a 4870 handle games on that big of a monitor?
 
Last edited:

I hate the idea of not being able to flash BIOS if its incompatible with Q6600 since I have no other computers that run on a 775 socket. Your not the only one to suggest that motherboard though, can I ask for your reasons on choosing it? Also, the HDMI port on the Super Micro I linked, what is it used for? Does it have the same purpose as the one on the PS3? I also didnt realize it wasnt compatible with DDR2 memory, theres no way I'd buy DDR3 ><.
 
Last edited:
is there a price drop any time soon for the 4xxx series cards? i can hold out if its within this year. I thought about getting a 4870 for a while but I just suddenly chose to go 4870X2 cause it is a monster though $550 is a lot to spend on a graphics card. I have a 52" plasma TV in my game room I could always hook my PC up to for kicks, how would a 4870 handle games on that big of a monitor?

What's the native resolution of the plasma? If it's 1080p then that would be 1920x1080 which a 4870 should handle okay. Now the 4870 X2 on the other hand...not to worry at all. If it's a lower res then that, say 720p then you can handle that like a hot knife through butter.
 
What brand of video card was it? You probably just picked a video card that had a noisy fan. I am currently saving my money to buy a PNY VCG88512GXEB-FLB GeForce 8800 video card at $111.

It wasn't my GPU, but for the record it was an EVGA 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked, the noise and heat I was describing was from my PSU. I just wanted to say how inefficient my old system was compared to my new one, granted the Q6600 sucks down the power the 4870 does a surprisingly good job with power.
 
The only game that I wouldnt be able to max on a 4870 is Crysis, which I rly dont care since a 4870X2 cant even do that. Ill buy the 4870 and save my money for something more practical like down payment on a car when I hit 18 :). I only truly want my Q6600 to hit 3.0GHZ so it doesnt wear out in 6 months :). I might even keep it @ 2.4GHZ if it doesnt slow me down when I multitask. Also, is there a way for a company to check if you OC'd your CPU if it dies from it?
 
Last edited:
Yea, it's a fairly rare situation. Usually I run mid 20's and after playing for a few minutes you get used to it, and that's coming from somebody who plays COD4 at 180-220 FPS. The only time it drops that low is in the poorly rendered scenes where you look way out into the ocean with tons of trees and something is going on way out there. The majority of the game is in the forest, so you don't really notice it.
 
I only truly want my Q6600 to hit 3.0GHZ so it doesnt wear out in 6 months :). I might even keep it @ 2.4GHZ if it doesnt slow me down when I multitask. Also, is there a way for a company to check if you OC'd your CPU if it dies from it?

Overclocking is over rated. With most overclocks you only get a small increase in performance with less system stability. It also shortens the life of your components. It would take a lot to bottleneck a Q6600 processor running at stock speed. It is a great processor running at the manufacturer's recommended speed.
 
Back
Top