Switching to Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

richamc01

last year i built a computer. nothing to fancy. but i installed windows xp and have been using it fine for this whole year but now im wanting to switch to a mac. I'm wanting to install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard but im not sure if i will be able to just uninstall windows xp and install Leopard onto the same hard drive that i was using before. i have thousands of songs, movies, and various files that i would still like to keep if possible. Has anyone done this or have and comments? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

richamc01

i just did a bit of research and found that OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard requires an intel processor. the pc i built has a AMD Phenom II Quad Core 2.8Ghz Processor. is there a Mac OS that i can use with this processor?

lawson_jl

Actaully you are wanting to do something illegal. Apple only allows their software to be installed on specific Apple sold hardware. It's in the terms of service. There is one company trying to sell Apple clones but they have filed bankrupcy due to Apple suing them out of business.

richamc01

alright is it possible to build a mac computer? is there an apple based motherboard that would allow me to run a mac os?

ganzey

banned
im almost positive that it is legal to buy them, but if it isnt, mods plz dont give me any points.

http://www.psystar.com/

but even their cheapest computer is about $800, and for a mac mini with the same specs, its only $800, and it is tiny computer.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

It's illegal to run Mac OS on non Apple hardware, as already stated.

Illegal activities are not allowed to be discussed here.

Well, technically the legality of it has yet to be decided. While it's definitely against Apple's software license, there is currently a court case between Apple and Psystar determining if Apple even has the right to tell users what computers they can use their software.

/\E

so what can i LEGALLY do? can i install a mac os on computer with a AMD processor?

Not legally. It's against Apple's EULA, therefore it is illegal.

If you'd Google a bit, I am sure you would find plenty of information.:)

Damorian

Not legally. It's against Apple's EULA, therefore it is illegal.

If you'd Google a bit, I am sure you would find plenty of information.:)

EULA's aren't laws. This is a mistake everyone seems to make with all sorts of software. I could generate some software and write in the EULA, "by using this software you hereby give me possession of your house, your car, all your money, and your first born child" and it would hold zero legal ground. The legality is a gray area. Apple is trying to say that Pystar is infringing on their copyright because it has to copy apple software to RAM, and their argument is that it's a pirated copy. That is a very ridiculous argument since that would mean every time you boot OSX on an apple machine you are making a second pirate copy (one in RAM, one on hard drive). Hackintosh machines I believe can be legal if you own a mac, but otherwise aren't. And if you do make one, don't expect support from apple or from third party software/hardware manufacturers. You'll be stuck searching for solutions in forums for hours, trust me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
EULA's aren't laws. This is a mistake everyone seems to make with all sorts of software. I could generate some software and write in the EULA, "by using this software you hereby give me possession of your house, your car, all your money, and your first born child" and it would hold zero legal ground. The legality is a gray area. Apple is trying to say that Pystar is infringing on their copyright because it has to copy apple software to RAM, and their argument is that it's a pirated copy. That is a very ridiculous argument since that would mean every time you boot OSX on an apple machine you are making a second pirate copy (one in RAM, one on hard drive). Hackintosh machines I believe can be legal if you own a mac, but otherwise aren't. And if you do make one, don't expect support from apple or from third party software/hardware manufacturers. You'll be stuck searching for solutions in forums for hours, trust me.

No Psystar or whatever is breaking the law. You see Apple uses what is called a TPM, which is a method of verifying you are running Apple branded hardware. To load OS X on a non Apple hardware computer you are in a sense "hacking" around the TPM.

While, it can be interpreted as a gray area, it is still for the most part considered illegal. It is chopped up to the same methods people use to remove DRM from media.

Damorian

No Psystar or whatever is breaking the law. You see Apple uses what is called a TPM, which is a method of verifying you are running Apple branded hardware. To load OS X on a non Apple hardware computer you are in a sense "hacking" around the TPM.

While, it can be interpreted as a gray area, it is still for the most part considered illegal. It is chopped up to the same methods people use to remove DRM from media.

"Apple wants Psystar to be found guilty of copyright infringement and for violating the DMCA."

Taken from this article: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/09/apple-psystar-ask-for-summary-judgemets-looking-to-avoid-trial/

I see nothing wrong with hacking around TPM. This is my personal belief though. Bear in mind that Pystar isn't the only way to get OS X on a PC. If you feel it is morally incorrect, don't do it.

If you're concerned about the legality of hackintoshs, read here: http://www.applematters.com/article/are-hackintoshes-illegal/

And here's some more info on pystar/hackintosh in general legalities/moralities: http://www.osnews.com/story/21104/What_Is_the_Issue_in_the_Psystar_Case_

EDIT: Also, even if you do make a hackintosh. They're not going to know about it (unless you try and update it and such) and even if they do, they're not going to press charges against you because it's not within their financial interests.

Last edited:

/\E

Yeah, but you're in violation of the EULA either way. And since it's in violation, it's not to be discussed on the forum. That's all I am trying to get across.

"Apple wants Psystar to be found guilty of copyright infringement and for violating the DMCA."

Taken from this article: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/09/apple-psystar-ask-for-summary-judgemets-looking-to-avoid-trial/

I see nothing wrong with hacking around TPM. This is my personal belief though. Bear in mind that Pystar isn't the only way to get OS X on a PC. If you feel it is morally incorrect, don't do it.

If you're concerned about the legality of hackintoshs, read here: http://www.applematters.com/article/are-hackintoshes-illegal/

And here's some more info on pystar/hackintosh in general legalities/moralities: http://www.osnews.com/story/21104/What_Is_the_Issue_in_the_Psystar_Case_

EDIT: Also, even if you do make a hackintosh. They're not going to know about it (unless you try and update it and such) and even if they do, they're not going to press charges against you because it's not within their financial interests.

Yeah, nobody's going to know about it nor are they going to care. And you're pushing for a Mac vs. PC argument in this thread. I am not debating the outside legalities. I am just saying that it cannot be discussed on this forum without problems.

I have used OSx86 before, any idiot can do it with a little searching.

Damorian

Yeah, but you're in violation of the EULA either way. And since it's in violation, it's not to be discussed on the forum. That's all I am trying to get across.

Yeah, nobody's going to know about it nor are they going to care. And you're pushing for a Mac vs. PC argument in this thread. I am not debating the outside legalities. I am just saying that it cannot be discussed on this forum without problems.

I have used OSx86 before, any idiot can do it with a little searching.

I don't think I'm pushing for a Mac vs PC argument at all. I am well aware of that which is why I haven't (nor anybody else) given any info. I just don't want the OP to be misled.

Last edited:

richamc01

i wasn't trying to start some legal dispute here. i wasn't aware that i needed to have apple based components to do this. ill just stick with windows or buy a mac sometime.

thanks.

jmusick

Well, technically the legality of it has yet to be decided. While it's definitely against Apple's software license, there is currently a court case between Apple and Psystar determining if Apple even has the right to tell users what computers they can use their software.

Yeah... If it was up to me I would say no. My Acura dealer can't sue me for painting my car. Sony can't tell me where to put my new TV. I don't get it... how do software/hardware companies get away with telling us that we can't alter or mod what we buy, when we buy it? When you buy something, it's yours. You can't expect Apple to back you up when your system crashes because you decided to homebrew your system, but you should be able to do it anyways. Forget the bulls**t that says they're technically leasing their software to us. It's on a physical disk, and it's physically installed. You pay a one-time fee to use it, and that's it. It's not like a rental car where you take it back if you don't make a payment, it's an item.

Sorry for the rant but it makes me pretty upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.