Symantec Blog Popup

Darren

Staff member
I've been having this issue on my machine since I did a clean install of W10 on my new SSD. Sometimes after closing a game, and maybe even without a game, I'll find a Chrome tab opened up to the following webpage (not malicious). It actually opens up a page with an ad that is blocked by uBlock but then asks me to proceed and dumps me here.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/download-insight-sep-121

I've ran MBAM and Defender and gotten nothing. Machine acts totally fine otherwise, just has a slight annoyance to do this. Some days it doesn't do it ever and other days I get it a few times. I did download and run a ... *cough*... program to activate my copy of MS Office but it did not actually complete and I've since removed everything I can find of it. I can provide the name of software but won't unless prompted, although it does start with a K. I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem. Turns out I get free MS Office through college if I just login to my edu account anyway. :D

Any ideas? @johnb35 ?

Intel_man

VIP Member
I did download and run a ... *cough*... program to activate my copy of MS Office but it did not actually complete and I've since removed everything I can find of it. I can provide the name of software but won't unless prompted, although it does start with a K. I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem.
That's probably your issue. If you only went through with "removing" everything you can find on it, there's probably residual files dug deep into the system somewhere. The only real way of getting rid of that without spending ridiculous of times trying to exterminate those files would be to System Restore to a time before you installed that MS Office copy.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i would reset chrome first and if that fails, do system restore as intel man suggested.

Darren

Staff member
That's probably your issue. If you only went through with "removing" everything you can find on it, there's probably residual files dug deep into the system somewhere. The only real way of getting rid of that without spending ridiculous of times trying to exterminate those files would be to System Restore to a time before you installed that MS Office copy.
Doing a system restore to before using that tool would be a fresh install basically. I'd honestly prefer just deal with the annoyance, especially with my 12mbps internet and the fact I had to download 49GB for Forza. :p

I'll try Chrome reset.

Darren

Staff member
Did it again today for the first time this week. Snagged a screenshot of the ad click it takes me through first. Seems like something just pushes this every once in awhile for ad revenue. This time I wasn't even sitting at my computer, was away for about 15 minutes and came back with it up. *shrug*

Capture.PNG

Darren

Staff member
do you even backup, bro
I've got an external but I've heard numerous nightmares of people trying to move their Forza install. Might see if they have a backup option for it. If only it was on Steam...

Brandon71732

Run malware bytes, and CC cleaner. These are tools that will clean up left over files and remove viruses. It looks to be almost like a browser hijack or something similar. Run malware bytes first though and let me know if that helps at all.

Darren

Staff member
Run malware bytes, and CC cleaner. These are tools that will clean up left over files and remove viruses. It looks to be almost like a browser hijack or something similar. Run malware bytes first though and let me know if that helps at all.

I've ran MBAM and Defender and gotten nothing.

MBAM = MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

CCleaner isn't a bad idea though. I've started getting redirects to other pages too, but they're so sporadic and infrequent it makes it impossible to trace the source. I did reinstall Chrome a couple days ago and have it seen it since, but it also would go a few days without showing up either so I have no idea if I got it.

mistersprinkles

CCleaner, MBAM, free AVAST (activate it) and run a BOOT time scan. Adwcleaner. Spybot S&D.
Before you run any antivirus scan or malware scan from within windows, run RKiller first.

Ideally you want to run all your scans outside of windows, such as from a mobile Linux installation, but that's not critical in most cases.

Darren

Staff member
CCleaner, MBAM, free AVAST (activate it) and run a BOOT time scan. Adwcleaner. Spybot S&D.
Before you run any antivirus scan or malware scan from within windows, run RKiller first.

Ideally you want to run all your scans outside of windows, such as from a mobile Linux installation, but that's not critical in most cases.
I will if it shows up again. Haven't seen it in a few days.