WIndows 10 System Image Icon - And see storage info

Harrya123

Hi - I am hoping someone can help me w the following:
1) Is the attached image a "system image backup" icon? I have this backup on an external HDD and I cant browse files like a typical folder. I think it was from a Windows 7 system image backup that no longer exists in windows 10.

2) How can I see how much storage this file is taking? I basically want to determine whether it's more convenient to backup other harddrives like I did this one, with a system image, or to simply backup each folder by transferring it to another storage place.

Thanks in advance:

PS: Bonus question: I am deciding between backing up by moving the files to online storage or an online backup software. I read a lot about the differences btwn say Dropbox and BackBlaze, but frankly I'm not really seeing that there is much diff, if what I want to backup are files, not programs and settings.

Attachments

• system image backup.png
    system image backup.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It would help to know what the file extension of that file is. That would tell us what program was used to do it.

OmniDyne

Is the attached image a "system image backup" icon?

That is a Windows system image backup. Looks like from Windows 7. If you use the restore tool in Windows 10, it will show you what version of Windows the backup is from.

How can I see how much storage this file is taking?

You may be able to mount the image and view its contents using Macrium Reflect; it's a free program that creates and restores image backups. Macrium will mount the image and show it as if it's a system drive. You'll then be able to see the size of its contents and even pull individual files from it.

I basically want to determine whether it's more convenient to backup other harddrives like I did this one, with a system image, or to simply backup each folder by transferring it to another storage place.

As far as I know, imaging is generally the way to go.

Last edited:

Harrya123

Appreciate the replies. To answer both questions:
1)
It would help to know what the file extension of that file is. That would tell us what program was used to do it.

Thanks. I cant see the extension. That's part of the propblem. Im pretty comp savvy so it's not an issue of unhiding extensions. I think its related to the type of file that it. I think it's an image so maybe they dont have extensions?

Harrya123

T
You may be able to mount the image and view its contents using Macrium Reflect; it's a free program that creates and restores image backups. Macrium will mount the image and show it as if it's a system drive. You'll then be able to see the size of its contents and even pull individual files from it.

Thanks - I can see the files so that's not the issue. I can't see the size of the backup though, even when going into "properties". I can only see the size of each folder within the backup if I look at the properties of each one, one at a time. obv tedious