System Lock Up - Viruses Everywhere

computer_pirson

My girlfriends computer is pretty messed up. It has serveral viruses, a driver problem, and the task bar has decided to go missing. I can't change or edit any files that includes cutting, copying, pasting, so I can't install anything.

It's a pentium 3, so scanning for viruses takes forever(yes I can still get the virus program up and running). I have found a few and deleted them but it takes a really long time to do.

I was thinking of taking the hard drive from her computer, putting it in mine as a slave drive and using all my software to clean her drive up.

Would this work?
If so, will any of her Windows XP files be harmed, because I have to be able to put it back in her computer and then just boot it up, without anything going wrong with the O/S.

Will my hard drive be at risk because there is a virus on hers?

Thanks any any advice is appreciated.

PC eye

banned
The infected drive itself won't spread any viruses by slaving it in another case. Any files copied from it could easily spread if they were infected. If the drive is too loaded with viruses, spywares, adwares, malwares, whatever then having an installation disk will come in handy since you will most likely have to wipe the drive to see a clean drive to reinstall Windows on to. If you simply reinstall Windows without cleaning all infected files off the drive, including anything hidden in the boot sector, you will only see this reappear later. If you are not familiar with manually locating and removing file and registry edits that require extreme care. Getting the drive clean and running in your friend's case is what you have to do unless you know that some files are clean and can be tranferred to your own. That's risky however.

Jars

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

computer_pirson

The HijackThis log from her computer is attached to this post. Any advice/help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 106

Bobo

banned
compter pirson said:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:22:03 PM, on 5/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.sympatico.ca/iesearchpane.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sympatico.ca/homepage.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.sympatico.ca/homepage.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ink Monitor] C:\Program Files\EPSON\Ink Monitor\InkMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX4600 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9AA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX4600 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX4600"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [untray] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMAN~1\COMMAN~1\untray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CSAV_CheckViruses] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMAN~1\COMMAN~1\vchk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvprpt] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMAN~1\COMMAN~1\dvprpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avtray] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMAN~1\COMMAN~1\avtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sympatico.ca/homepage.html
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/CursorManiaFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.15.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FA3D392-9349-4D85-8FB9-18733534CFE3} (SpyBouncer.SBDownloader) - http://www.spybouncer.com/downloader/gdownloader.ocx
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/SolitaireShowdown.cab31267.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avinitnt - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Command Software\Command AntiVirus\avinitnt.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: schscnt - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Command Software\Command AntiVirus\schscnt.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service (usnsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)

There you go :)

Jars

Step 1

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Corporation] servicer.exe
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache...up1.0.0.15.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FA3D392-9349-4D85-8FB9-18733534CFE3} (SpyBouncer.SBDownloader) - http://www.spybouncer.com/downloader/gdownloader.ocx

Now click fix selected and exit HijackThis.

Step 2

Please download the Killbox by Option^Explicit.

Note: In the event you already have Killbox, this is a new version that I need you to download.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click Killbox.exe to run it.
  • Select:
    • Delete on Reboot
    • then Click on the All Files button.
  • Please copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy):

C:\WINDOWS\System32\servicer.exe

• Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose Paste from Clipboard.
  • Click the red-and-white Delete File button. Click Yes at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click OK at any PendingFileRenameOperations prompt (and please let me know if you receive this message!).

If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run Killbox, click here to download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try Killbox again.

Step 3

Welcome,
Please follow the instructions provided, you may want to print out these instructions and use them as a reference.

Please download ewido anti-malware it is a free version of the program.
  1. Install ewido anti-malware
  2. When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck..
    • Install background guard
    • Install scan via context menu
  3. Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  4. The program will now open to the main screen.
  5. When you run ewido for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
  6. You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
    • On the left hand side of the main screen click update.
    • Then click on Start Update.
  7. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
    (the status bar at the bottom will display ("Update successful")
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • You will be prompted to clean the first infection.
  • Select "Perform action on all infections", then proceed.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop or a location where you can find it easily.
Close ewido anti-malware.

Please re-post a Hijackthis log and the Ewido Log

Last edited:

computer_pirson

I've given up. After doing the Killbox thing, and rebooting the computer went back to being the same as it was when I started. The taskbar disappeared, it took forever to load and it just is stupid.

It's time to take it to an expert, if its even worth that.

Thanks for the help though.

Jars

Im sorry you feel this way. I was on the verge of getting your computer clean. If you would like me to continue with the fix i need the hijackThis file and the ewido scan.

If you quit after the ewido scan you need to reconsider, ewido was going to clean up alot.

PC eye

banned
Before abandoning the ship there is another option provided you have the installation disk there to work with. It simply is the "install to repair" method that repairs and replaces any corrupted or missing system files in order to get the system running normal again. The article here does have to be read through completely to see good results however. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
The advantage here is to repair Windows without wiping the drive. Once Windows is up and running you can blast the viruses off with a few different utilities. This method won't delete any files and folders other then any damaged system files being repaired with an overwrite. Any other files found infected you simply drag into the recycle bin before reinfecting the system a second time. This is the one method to save the current installation on a drive that is heavily polluted. But use more then one remover to clean up the rest of the drive in the meantime.

computer_pirson

Well it's an old computer so I don't even want to be bothered with it anymore.

I'll wait until my girl gets back from her trip and then she can figure out what to do.