"System Reserved" drive appeared suddenly?

Spiros94

So I don't know if it's relevant but today, I shut down my computer and since that is what Windows 10 does, it updated. Could be totally unrelated but I turned my computer on and now there's a "System Reserved" drive in "This PC". I have an SSD (C), an HDD (D) and an external drive connected most of the time (F), so the new drive is assigned the letter G. Says 106MB are free of 499MB.
I ran an Avira full scan before I shut down the computer after a long time so could that be responsible? No viruses found by the way, in case that would change things.
Is it a bad thing it appeared? Was it created some time ago and just now became visible or was it created now? I didn't change any settings for Windows backup, in case that also could be responsible. Do I have to do anything, or can I just leave it alone to grow and experience life in its unique way?

Edit: I actually posted this before said Windows Update. It was just stuck in my head because I think for the first time I got a notification that there are important updates pending and it asked me to either restart my pc right away to install them or to remind me later. Also, the "System Reserved" drive is gone. Does that mean it was created to prepare the PC for the update?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The very same thing happened to me the other day when mine updated. It appeared and then after the next reboot, it disappeared. Just a glitch.

Mine did it too, after updating last night. After rebooting, the drive disappeared.

But, one thing I noticed after this upgrade, was my C: drive is now almost full. Prior to this, my drive had almost half of its available space.

system_reserved.jpg

system_reserved_2.jpg

Some of my C: drive was freed up, finally. But, I had to reboot several times, before it would install the updates. The I: drive did disappear after the first reboot, though.

Jiniix

My drives' space has remained unchanged I think. Still around 162GB free of the 232GB.
It's not that something with your partitions changed, or data was deleted/moved (except Windows files, not your documents etc. for example). It's a bug in the newest version of Windows that shows all partitions, even the ones hidden by default.
Windows is usually 2-4 partitions on one disk, whereas 99% of the storage is the main partition C:

Agent Smith

It's great beta testing for Microsoft, who wouldn't pay for an OS to do that?!

I so should install Win 10 into a virtual machine and monitor SNMP and just see what goes on behind the scenes. It was a project I had in mind, but other stuff is holdig me down from doing it at the moment. Be a great blog entry with my results. I have to wonder if the built-in key logger sends that data in encrypted form or not.