System Restore Help

cohen

Hi all,

Well at school i'm part of the light + sound team - currently at school for a rehearsal.

Now a friend took the laptop home last week and did a registry clean and the laptop has been slow ever since. Now we are admin on the laptop... we have removed unneeded programs and it is still slow. We have taken it to the school IT guys and they have said that it is fine and nothing is wrong with it.

Now i picked up from IT about 1 hour ago and it is still slow now i want to do a system restore but it won't let me :( so is there any other way i can do a system restore????

Pls help i need the laptop by the start of next week!!! and i need help to fix it ASAP... i have done all the things i can think of! :confused::cool:

cohen

the team guys and i have desided we are going to get windows reinstalled on it.. so we took it to IT and they are going to reimage it....

1 question - what does reimage mean???? :confused: :confused:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
the team guys and i have desided we are going to get windows reinstalled on it.. so we took it to IT and they are going to reimage it....

1 question - what does reimage mean???? :confused: :confused:

I imagine there are several of the same laptops around the school?

Pretty much, they'll copy one HDD of another, newly installed machine and apply it to the laptop you have. It saves from having to spend 2+ hours installing Windows.

cohen

How did he do the registry clean?

We have made ourselves admin to the laptop - he installed and ran "registry fix"... which just stuffed it...

I imagine there are several of the same laptops around the school?

Pretty much, they'll copy one HDD of another, newly installed machine and apply it to the laptop you have. It saves from having to spend 2+ hours installing Windows.

Yes we have several laptops the same... i asked a friend about it and he said they would copy what is on the hard drive... reinstall windows and put what was on the hard drive back on..... :confused: but the way you explained it makes more sence.

Thanks guys - one of the guys said he was going to go to IT today and get it back from them.... not sure if he did as i was in the City Today... :D

apj101

VIP Member
We have made ourselves admin to the laptop - he installed and ran "registry fix"... which just stuffed it...
why would he do that? if you were just messing around then no sympathy

Yes we have several laptops the same... i asked a friend about it and he said they would copy what is on the hard drive... reinstall windows and put what was on the hard drive back on..... but the way you explained it makes more sence.
was this the same idiot that stuffed it up inthe first place? that is not what reimaging is. An image is a snap shot of a hard drive, normally the harddrive is one that has just had a fresh install of windows AND all the apps you will need like word, excel etc...Once the snapshot is taken the whole thing is stored in lets say one file called plop.image
this plop.image can then be tucked away in a draw on a dvd, or more likely stored on a file server somewhere by IT.
When you reimage a hard drive you take the broken machine, wipe it clear, then copy all the contents of plop.image back to the hardrive. The beneift is that the machine will effectively be back to factory settings.
You will lose all personal apps and files (unless you backed them up yourself first to an external drive of some sort)

Next time dont mess about with stuff you dont know :)

cohen

why would he do that? if you were just messing around then no sympathy

We are admin so we can make changes to the laptop... for out light + sound needs and install programs that we need!

was this the same idiot that stuffed it up in the first place? that is not what reimaging is. An image is a snap shot of a hard drive, normally the harddrive is one that has just had a fresh install of windows AND all the apps you will need like word, excel etc...Once the snapshot is taken the whole thing is stored in lets say one file called plop.image
this plop.image can then be tucked away in a draw on a dvd, or more likely stored on a file server somewhere by IT.
When you reimage a hard drive you take the broken machine, wipe it clear, then copy all the contents of plop.image back to the hardrive. The beneift is that the machine will effectively be back to factory settings.
You will lose all personal apps and files (unless you backed them up yourself first to an external drive of some sort)

Next time dont mess about with stuff you dont know :)

Not IT pros at school said they would reimage it. Pretty much we said them we want windows reinstalled so we can use it for our production next week!!!!!

apj101

VIP Member
We are admin so we can make changes to the laptop... for out light + sound needs and install programs that we need!
i get that, but why were you messing around trying to "clean" the registry.

Not IT pros at school said they would reimage it. Pretty much we said them we want windows reinstalled so we can use it for our production next week!!!!!
well you asked what reimaging meant, and that is it :)
i have no idea whether the IT at school will do that or not, he may have just used that word as a piece of techno jargon to try and sound like he knows what he's on with :D

cohen

i get that, but why were you messing around trying to "clean" the registry.

cause it made his computer faster so he thought it would make "it" faster but no i didn't.

But i heard today we got a new HP laptop!!!! this time we will keep it clean! but can't wait for the new toy :D head of MME in the tech team :D

apj101

VIP Member
cause it made his computer faster so he thought it would make "it" faster but no i didn't.
oh, well i suggest you read up on what you are doing next time;) rather than just dashing in. Next time your friend suggests doing something ask him what it does and how it does it :)

But i heard today we got a new HP laptop!!!! this time we will keep it clean! but can't wait for the new toy head of MME in the tech team
oh, well all turned out good then :D