System Restore Not Working

johnkromka

I haven't used my System Restore in some time, however I tried using it tonight because I downloaded a registry script that was "supposed" to speed up my Windows 10, however it seems to have slowed down things. So I ran the System Restore. First thing I noticed that was odd was that there was only ONE restore point there and I have my disk usage for restore points set up quite high, so there should have been more than just one restore point and it was three days ago. Anyway, I ran the Restore and was expecting everything to go fine, but it did not. I noticed it was not finishing in the usual 5-10 minutes. I decided to let it run for a half hour but it would not finish. It said "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored...System Restore is initializing". It stayed with exactly this wording the whole 30 minutes. Then when I restarted the computer it said: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer files and settings were not changed." Details: "The System Restore is still in progress and did not complete". So I went looking all over Google for posts on fixing System Restore when it is not working right. I tried MANY things. I wish I kept a list of what I tried, but from memory I ran a scannow and it did say it found some corrupted files, but could not fix them all. It said in one post to try a different restore point, but as I said I only had one, so could not do that. I ran the hardware Troubleshooter, found nothing. I went into Windows Services to make sure all the things associated with Restore were running and on automatic. So now I come to the forum to try and get help to get the SR running right again. Please give me some other things to try than what I mentioned here. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but is there any software I can download that might correct the situation? Is there a 3rd party type of System Restore?(probably not) As I said I am running Windows 10. One guy said to go into my Local Group Policy Editor and I looked in vain for that...I don't see it on my system. This is frustrating and I want the SR back. Thanks for any help. (If this is not in the right forum, sorry, please redirect)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
System restore is very buggy at best, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you want something that actually works then you would be looking at a third party program. However it's too late now since it hasn't been installed in order to work. Did you do a fresh install of 10 or upgrade from a previous OS?