System restore

mailliw

HP Compaq Presario SR 1923wm-AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+. 981mhz, 960 mb Ram,Windows XP Media Center v 2002, Service Pack 2,

A few month back I did a complete System Restore to factory settings, since then my computer has slowed down, having trouble surfing the internet. I have ran all the malware and anti virus that computer forum advises people to run, no better. There are programs on here I don't even know what is and if they are compatible with each other. So I am planning another system restore and be more careful what I let load on my computer. My question is how do I save my internet and e-mail settings so I don't have to reprogram them from scratch after I restore. Thank You

mailliw

A system recovery back to the default factory settings. Now I need to do it again but need to save internet & e-mail settings to make it easier to get those services back in use.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

The reason your system will be slow after the factory recovery is it will be loaded with pre installed junk, uninstall all the software and silly games that will no doubt be installed, if you are unsure of which things to get rid of try this free program called, slim computer to help you get rid of all the junk - http://slimcomputer.com/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem I see is that you are running SP2 instead of SP3. Also, you are only running 960mb ram. If you installed an antivirus program, it will slow it down. You should be running 2gb of memory. You also may want to disable AMD Cool N' Quiet software in the bios, if possible.

Other than that the system recovery may not have performed correctly the last time. What I would do is do a destructive system recovery so that it deletes everything and starts from scratch. After the recovery, update to SP3.