System Speed........Doom 3 vs Halflife...

I just grabbed Doom 3 from Hastings.

My System is a 3000+ Ath64, 512MB RAM, OC'd Radeon 8500, ETC.

The other systems in the house are about 1000MHZ with OC'ed Radeons.

Doom 3 runs like CRAP on my system. And I'm not going to go out and buy a $250 video card to run it at full speed.

at 800x600 it still probably doesnt hit 40 FPS. This is insane. I cant even take the game back because I "opened" it. Now I'm stuck only to ebay it.

My dad told me HL2 is under the tree...and I'm wondering in comparison....does HL2 run better than D3?

Nash

4W4K3

VIP Member
Your 8500 is the problem as you probably know. HL2 doesn't require quite as much power to run, but still your 8500 probabl wont do too good even overclocked. How much WOULD you spend on a new gfx card?

I dont believe in spending over $100 for a video card.

Even if I were to 'Find" a radeon 9600 PRO....it would still run like crap IMHO.

Im only a 60+ FPS gamer...thats the problem. Oh well, D3 will have to sit on the shelves or get sold. Until then, I'll play EVERY other game and get a full 50-120 FPS.

Nash

4W4K3

VIP Member
SBLiveFordFE said:

Even if I were to 'Find" a radeon 9600 PRO....it would still run like crap IMHO.

Im only a 60+ FPS gamer...thats the problem. Oh well, D3 will have to sit on the shelves or get sold. Until then, I'll play EVERY other game and get a full 50-120 FPS.

Nash

Don't expect to be playing games much longer then (unlesss you replay them). Splinter Cell is a pretty old game and you will only be getting 50-120FPS on your 8500 if you run 800*600 low/medium settings. Having the game look like poop really takes the fun out of playing it IMO.

Thief 3 is considered an "old" game already, and my 9200 card will get on average 8FPS...thats running 620*480, everything set to as low as possible.

The video card is the most dependant part of your system when you consider your rig "game worthy". It can be a huge bottleneck, and it really breaks a system if you skimp on it. I mean you can have the fastest CPU/Mobo/RAM/HD in the world...and still not be able to play an old game like SC/Thief 3. It really sux...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Doom 3 runs like CRAP on my system. And I'm not going to go out and buy a $250 video card to run it at full speed.
at 800x600 it still probably doesnt hit 40 FPS. This is insane. I cant even take the game back because I "opened" it. Now I'm stuck only to ebay it
1. What did you expect?
2. Doom3 is a videocard limited game.

My dad told me HL2 is under the tree...and I'm wondering in comparison....does HL2 run better than D3?
Yes because you have an ATi card ... it wont be an earthshattering difference as HL2 is also a fairly heavy game but you'll have a more enjoyable FPS experience (not neccesarily an enjoyable gaming experience though)

LOL reminds me of some dinghus i built a computer for ... he wanted a fancy FX55 setup and all for like $500 ... :p

crypter

i play UT 2004 demo with my max fps at like 40 lol.. when things blow up close to me i go down to around 10-15 fps

Praetor said:
LOL reminds me of some dinghus i built a computer for ... he wanted a fancy FX55 setup and all for like $500 ... :p

Whats so "dinghus" about it? Remeber, you are only 21. Not alot of miles under both our belts.....You really should wait till you've got some more miles in your shoes to go around speaking "down" to people....and thinking that I'm a complete idiot because I've been in this game just as long as you have.

I've built plenty of computers to hold my shoes on. Spending over $149 on a "video card" is INSANE. If this keeps up...Consoles will take lead again...Hell, they already have. I know several people who've left thier PC's in the closet...and turn to the cheap PS2 systems. The same people I've got together with every weekend of my high-school years to knock up a game of CS, TFC, and WC3. Now...these people are playing Console games because they dont want to spend $500 computer upgrades. I use to think they were crazy....now I completely understand.

Even I have a PS2 in my room at the moment. Right now, I'm playing FFX, and just got done with MGS2. Guess what? Those games run smooth as ever....and the games only cost me $8 each....and the system is now probably around $99. Ofcoarse, it was free for me because it's my Bro's.

Or...you can purchase a video card for $250 that will run the new games O.K. Probably not for long until a new advanced 3d Engine comes out to drop the FPS down another 30 FPS.

I'll be happy playing all other games but Doom 3. HL2, I'll have to see how it goes. If its too choppy..ill return it.

I have a booklet of about 50 PC games...which is quite alot. Most of all of them are 3d renderized....look good, and run great.

So doom 3 runs like crap.....and I'm gonna be a turd-head and buy a $250 video card for it? You really think I'd enjoy it as much then? I'd be vomitting.

I picked up Mafia last night for $9.99. Excellant graphics, and a full 60-100 FPS. It's an all around better game then D3. And I didnt have to go out and buy a video card.

But my question was answered...thanks. I'll see how it goes.

Nash

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
You pay $250 for a video card, and lots more for an entire machine, bcuz' it will wipe the floor with any console machine. Sure, you can spend alot less and use the console for gamng, but you are still without all the other things your computer can do. If you want to play games on your computer, you HAVE to get high end equipment. Otherwise you are gonna be stuck playing older games and most likely get bored. You actually have a smart idea, use the computer for everything except gaming, and use the console jsut for gaming.

The only thing with a console is it is virtually impossible to make the games look better (compared to computer gfx there not very impressive), and there is no functionality, tweaking, upgrading. If you want a certain title that is only availabe for XBOX and you have a PS2...your kinda screwed. I play alot on my gf's lil' bro's XBOX and it still lags in games as simple as GTA Vice City, Medal of Honor, Sega GT 2002, it's not 100% smooth ride. It overheats when playing DVD's and long hours of gaming, and sometimes it will even freeze. Consoles have every problem a computer does if you have them long enough.

I wouldn't argue with Praetor, even if you are offended. It may not have been his place to say what he did, but arguing only makes the situation more complex. It is somewhat ridiculous to abandon your PC for a gaming console, kind of like trading your car for a go-kart.

4W4K3 said:
You actually have a smart idea, use the computer for everything except gaming, and use the console jsut for gaming.

I never said this.

4W4K3 said:
The only thing with a console is it is virtually impossible to make the games look better (compared to computer gfx there not very impressive), and there is no functionality, tweaking, upgrading. .

True...but generally speaking...you put the game in the console unit...and you play. And you know its going to run good. PC, you have to do alot of setup. And when you have to turn things down alot....it runs your gaming experience just "knowing" that the graphics are turned down...and could be better. Know what I'm saying?

4W4K3 said:
If you want a certain title that is only availabe for XBOX and you have a PS2...your kinda screwed..

This is also true if theres a console game not made for the PC. For instance...Resident Evil series.

Both have problems. I am only validating your true point. But when you have to sacrifice $250 for a Video card that will be outdated in a few weeks...this turns people away..such as myself. people then would rather play those games on consoles....thats a fact.

I never traded in my PC. Right now, I play Mafia on it (DAMN GOOD GAME)...and FFX on my PS2.

Consoles and PCs will always have thier place. but the PC may loose its place....when it has games that wont even run on the common computer...

I'm not saying to not use PC for gaming. I'm saying dont go out and buy a $250 video card. Make the manufactors lower thier prices.

Ofcoarse, that isn't feasible for reality.

Nash

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
SBLiveFordFE said:
I never said this.

I thought that's what you meant by saying the Console would soon replace the PC. And how it will play games and all without expensive hardware.

SBLiveFordFE said:
TRue...but there is also no problems with consoles.

Tell that to the people who work in the support center answering thousands and possibly millions of phone calls. "MY CD drive wont recognize any of my games anymore." "My PS2 wont turn on anymore" "My audio is messed up" " i can't load my saved games anymore" "my video is all garbled and shorts out" Consoles have problems...and for the average console user it is not fixable. Most of the time you have to get a new one, pay to get it fixed, or trade it in for a different one.

SBLiveFordFE said:
Both have problems. But when you have to sacrifice $250 for a Video card that will be outdated in a few weeks...this turns people away. They would rather play those games on consoles....thats a fact.

who are we interviewing here? 12 yr. old kids who cant afford anything? Ask avid gamers/overclockers/computer minded people this question, and a good percentage would say you are crazy. i myself would gladly pay $250 for a video card if it played gfx as good as DOOM3 and FarCry. I still have gfx cards that are 8+yrs old that run newer games like Roller Coaster Tycoon and the like. If treated right they will last a very long time. With a console it is almost a guarantee that Games will stop being produced after ~1.5yrs, because a newer more expensive console has come out already and it is not compatible with these olde games. Look at the N64, good example right there. Most PC games made 10+yrs ago will still run on a highend machine today.

SBLiveFordFE said:
Consoles and PCs will always have thier place. but the PC may loose its place....when it has games that wont even run on the common computer...

These games are designed and marketed to people who have money, want the best of the best, and are not satisfied with sub-par console systems. if you cant afford a high-end computer, and don;t see it's benefits, then PC gaming is obviously not for you. Right now computers are the hot spot of technology, and as long as people are still getting there pay checks and software developers are still employed, the best of the best hardware/games will sell like hotcakes. The console has always been a step below the PC in performance and flexibility, the XBOX is basically a very old 700MHz computer.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I must be totally insane because I just spent $509 on a video card. ;)

on a more serious note. computer is like a hobby for me. some people put 1000's of dollars into rebuilding cars for a hobby. I not a big car person but I love computers.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
SBLiveFordFE said:
I'm a car hobbyest.... :)

Nash

I hope i will be lol. I love going to races and watching them speed down the track. My first will be a complete junker for sure ;)

listen...

My First car was a 65 Galaxie 500...baught it for $800. Came with a 390 big BLock and a good tranny..

Since then, I have rebuilt the motor...($4k) and freshened the interior (1k). Also...Im (4k) through with 400 hours with the body work.

Alot of people grow up....and find more important things than computers. I was in your shoes not too long ago. I was known as the "wiz kid who rocks on the guitar" all throughout highschool. People go to me when they have computer problems. I even baught a Voodoo 4 4000 when I was your age.....spent to much on it. (150) It was all Hype....and it wasnt hardly any better than the V3 3000.

The best graphics card I have ever purchased to date would be the R8500.

When you get into cars.....that $250 graphics card that you NOW think is not a bad price....will become ALOT more when those more "important" things like College, Car, Girls, ETC come around. Why do you think your dad doesnt care about putting money into the computer? Because its just not that "important"...

It's called life. I can help you find the right "junker" when the time comes....like what to watch out for that I've learned.

Nash

mgoldb2

VIP Member
you spend $9000 on a car for entertainment and you call people that spend $250 on a video card crazy.

4W4K3

VIP Member
SBLiveFordFE said:
Alot of people grow up....and find more important things than computers. I was in your shoes not too long ago.

You can do both, one is not more important that the other if you hold a passion for both. My sisters bf has a Dodge Stratus RT and he works on it constantly. He just bought a body kit, thinking of redoing the interior cuz his seats are kinda messed up. He's really into lights and bass because he's asian lol. After spending thousands on his car, he still goes to LAN's all the time and spends $300 on a water cooling setup, buys a FX5900XT (at the time it was $290 i believe). I certainly won't be dumping my computer for a car, as i hope to make computers my life long career like my dad did.

SBLiveFordFE said:
When you get into cars.....that $250 graphics card that you NOW think is not a bad price....will become ALOT more when those more "important" things like College, Car, Girls, ETC come around. Why do you think your dad doesnt care about putting money into the computer? Because its just not that "important"...

I won;t be going to a good college, as from the 5th grade and up i haeve made either C's or failed. It just won't happen. I plan to look for a good trade school and learn something specific i can dedicate my time to. I've been engaged for over a year now with the most wonderful girl i have ever met, and i hope to marry her after highskool. I actually tought her how to build her own computer and she has a pretty decent gaming rig just under $500. She is really into computers too. My dad doesn't spend money on computers for gaming because he isn't a gamer. He bought 13 computers and put them in our house for a network. He can get a FX5200 for ~$50 on sale (which he did not too long ago) and still use it with his P4 machine that he uses for working at home. If he wasa gamer he would probably have a FX-55 setup with a 6800U and a buttload of other top-end hardware. But he's not a gamer, so he spends his mon ey on $15K musical instruments, improvements on the house, and keeping the network up and running, all at the same time. I think you can do what you enjoy and love, and still have the time/budget for your computer if you really want to.

Just to relate, the most expensive videocard i ever bought was the MadDog Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB card ($75 at the time). I don't have much money to spend on my computer either, but i still am trying to raise $800 for an A64 system that will be able to play Doom3 and fast enough to do anything else i need. I only upgrade once every couple years...

Last edited: