tablets...I dont get what the huge fad is. Use your phone.

I_BUILD_NASTYS

People are ranting and raving about these dumb tablets. just use your phone. Its the same thing as a tablet... but better it can make phone calls. so dumb I hate those things haha.

SuperDuperMe

I used to think like that, and then my mum bought my sister one and i can really see the appeal. There much better than laptops imo. They're just convenient for things like surfing the web, and the one i played on was really fast. Its just much easier to turn it on and get going, they're smaller and for me much more pleasant to use. My girlfriend has a laptop so i haven't bothered getting one. But i would definitely buy one if the laptop wasnt here :p

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I can see some applications where a tablet would be handy; some of them a little sci-fi...

Just as a for-instance-- in this age of pseudo-paperless operations (which consume more paper than previously), electrical schematics and diagrams are digitized and there are no paper copies anymore. For an electronics-type like me, a 10" tablet would be a heck of a lot more readable than a 4" smart phone, and the tablet is more portable than a 13" laptop.

Imagine matching building schematics with position-sensing technology, the in-built camera and creating a virtual x-ray: You could see what's behind the wall you are about to demolish. Or, get a real-time parts breakdown of an engine by taking a picture of it, and touching each component you want data on.

chuckzwood

People are ranting and raving about these dumb tablets. just use your phone. Its the same thing as a tablet... but better it can make phone calls. so dumb I hate those things haha.

My phone is not capable of doing the tasks that a tablet can do. Not everyone in this world has a "smart phone"!

GaryCantley

Friend of mine was going on and on about how cool his Ipad2 was.

Asked him the last time he watched a DVD on it, note the wording.

When did he last insert a USB device into it.

How much data could he store on it? Not alot.

Could he touch type on it?

Was told to go away in the end as I was bugging him :)

Yes they look cool but there uses are very limited and the cost of them does not make them a viable alternative in my eyes.

Laquer Head

Tablets have a purpose and like anything some people will have a use for them, some won't.

I have a galaxy tab and it's extremely useful for work to do spreadsheets and keep customer data on, not to mention get signatures and use to show products to people.

Much easier looking at pictures on a 10" screen than a 3-4" smartphone.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Why I want a tablet?

Web Surfing
Note taking in class

My phone may be Android, but it doesn't have a front facing camera like the Eee Pad Transformer does. My laptop is too big to bring into bed with me to watch Netflix. And a laptop is too cumbersome and heavy to bring to class all the time.

strollin

I received a Kindle Fire for xmas, it's not a full tablet but pretty darn close as it can run many Android tablet apps. I use it mainly around the house as it's easy to keep next to me to do quick lookups, check email, lite browsing, etc... I never take it with me when I leave the house though because it's too large to fit in my pocket and I don't want to have to carry it in my hand. My Android phone is much more portable as it fits in my pocket plus it has 3G so I almost always have internet access whereas the KF has only wifi so I almost never have internet access when out & about. If I have to carry something in my hands when I'm out, I would take my netbook before the KF since it's more capable and has a decent keyboard. I can tether the netbook to my phone if I want internet access (I'm too cheap to pay the extra $20/month for the hotspot feature for my phone that would let me use my KF with it).

I personally couldn't justify spending $400-$600 on a tablet but since I received the KF as a gift I make use of it. The KF is a much better value than most tablets as it only costs $200.

Mishkin

I have a regular desktop (P2 1090T build) that is my regular computer for gaming, multimedia, editing, etc. If I'm on a computer or any sort of similar device, there's a 98% chance I'm on that.

I also have a cheapo $250 Acer netbook I bought at Walmart. It has no problem doing basic tasks like word processing, internet browsing, or video. I take it with me sometimes when I go over to a friend's place or stay in a hotel. It only has Wi-fi, but considering my uses for it, that's all I need. It is my portable computer. A tablet would work as well, but it wouldn't be nearly as comfortable to use, and it wouldn't be as fully fleshed out. And unless I went with the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet, any sort of decent tablet would cost more than $250. It just wouldn't be a good solution for my own individual needs.

Oh, and I still use a basic, non-smart Samsung phone. I use it to make and receive calls, and every once in awhile a text message or two. That's it. It's not glued to my head, and I like it that way. I think smartphone technology of the last several years has been neat and they've made huge strides in developing it. I'm sure for many people, smartphones are awesome to have, especially for those that need them for their job. However, I really haven't understood the mass fanaticism for smartphones that SO many people have. I personally could care less about most of the features that come on smartphones nowadays. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. Or maybe I'm just not a follower and/or sucker for marketing.