Taking apart a laptop?

DMGrier

VIP Member
I want to take apart my laptop to clean all the crap that might be stuck in the fans cause I am having a cooling issue. I remove the screws and try to pull it apart and everything goes fine until the back part. In the center off the back where you can plug in a mointor it's stuck, it won't pull and I'm afraid to break, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

HumanMage

I wouldn't pull too hard...it only takes one time to crack a piece, then you're all mad at yourself yadda yadda. Cleaning wise for my laptop, I only open up the graphics card, memory, and hard drive areas blow them out with compressed air, and maybe even wipe with a lens cloth. That's about it and I've not witnessed any overheating problems. My laptop cooler helps as well though.

bomberboysk

Some laptops you have to take out the pins on the connectors(the things u screw ur monitor into, its like a ~5mm socket that is required), also you need to have your display removed from the laptop first...

dznutz

with some laptops you have to remove certain screws before removing an unrelated screw or part. for instance my sony sz won't allow me to remove my keyboard to access the hdd unless i remove the screws on the back of the laptop.

in other words google your laptop's tear down diagram if you want to save yourself some hassles.

Humveeluvr

When I took apart my acer to fully take the shell off I prety much had to take apart the whole thing Keyboard/screen/hd/DVD drive/35+ screws intotal so unless you want to go that route just stick with the acessable areas Ram cpu and hd.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I agree... Unless you REALLY need to get into some in-accessible area, stick with the user-serviceable panels. I've taken apart a few laptops in my time and it's unbelievable how complicated they are, and how difficult it can be to get everything back exactly how it once was.

But if you must keep on going, check for any additional screws, perhaps under stickers. Maybe run a case-cracker(flat head screw driver :p) along the edge and see if that would pop it loose) My most recent laptop tear-down was an Vostro 1400 (identical to my Insprion 1420) and it had two tiny screws under the monitor cable and wifi/wwan wires.

Humveeluvr

check for any additional screws, perhaps under stickers. Maybe run a case-cracker(flat head screw driver :p) along the edge and see if that would pop it loose)QUOTE]

Also check under the rubber feet. I too had to use a small screwdrver to pry apart the joints that have lips joining the 2.