Taking computers apart

textbook

I want to learn about computers by taking them apart, butg I have a concern-

How can I avoid after taking bits off or taking it all apart forgetting how to reassemble it? Should I use stickers of something to show what goes with what?

bcohen4

take it apart and then try to put it back together. if something goes wrong or you aren't confident, just look at a guide on how to put computers together.

ad356

its easy really. connectors on a modern computer can only be plugged in the right way. hard drive cables as well. its really hard to screw it up. on some of the older components you could plug things in backward. you used to have pay attention to pin 1 markers, ect. it has become alot easier.

Ambushed

What I found was good when I first started was to take pictures of what goes where before you take the computer apart.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Take pictures and notes if you have to....I did a full PSU mod and had to take apart all the cables. There was no way to remember where 24 wires go into a power connection. I took good notes and made little picture diagrams, worked great for me.

dznutz

- just take an item out and put it back in. if it turns on then you've mastered that item.

- also, download the motherboard diagram. you'll know what the names of the parts are and with google know what it's used for.

- there are also some precautions like turning off the power on the back of the pc, not shocking the components, not sticking a magnet in the pc, etc

- if you're not sure how to remove apart then just take a pic of it and up it here.

chibicitiberiu

But just don't open the hard drive to see what's inside. Because the distance between the head and the disk plate is very small (1 nm or 1µm if i remember well), even the smallest particles can damage it.

Dystopia

biggest danger is really the CPU, because you might bend the pins. Just make sure you dont put a lot a pressured on the cpu, cuz it should easily slide in

magichater

Hiya,

Also be careful when removing the CPU fan from the motherboard if its not done right there's a chance you may break the plastic clip on the board if you put too much preasure on it trying to remove or put it back on.
4d5b995358e7798bc7e9d9db83c612a5.jpg

textbook

I have already taken the CPU out and put it back ok. I was more worried about taking the motherboard out and puting that back. I wanted everything out by itself and then try to put it all back togther. Also someone told me that if i wanted to put everything back together like this I would need to know what everything is called. I guess I can upload photos. What about the leads can you mess up when putting them back in the right place?

laznz1

got to be careful how you store it out side the computer if its not in an anti static enviroment ZAP there goes a circut board BE CAREFULL