Taking movies off dvd taking to pc?

Bigshow1030

Hey, I am just wanting to know if there is a way that I can put my dvd's on my computer....I am a collector of Sly stallone movies and I am wanting to know if there is a way I can put them on my computer so that way I can watch them off of that plus I will have a back up if anything ever happens to them? Any help you guys can offer me would be appreciated. Basically I know you have to have a dvd rom but I am not sure if I can just play them and do it just like copying music from my cd's to my harddrive. Or is it a software issue I need. Once again I appreciate the help! :)

Blade

Imtoo DVD Ripper, it will copy them at slightly lower quality and they will become an Mpeg on you hard drive, PM me with your email and i can send it over MSN if ya liek

magicman

VIP Member
First of all I'm not sure about the legalities of ripping dvd's in the US. I believe it's all right so long as it's for personal use only in accordance with the license (assuming you bought the dvd's not rented them). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In DVD's there is not just one file for the movie, there are many files (.vob extension) and all these plus other files makeup the dvd. To copy them to your hard drive, there are many programmes out there which create an "image" of the disk, which would include menus, subtitles, everything. You can also choose to "rip" just the feature film, which if you're wanting them to be kept on your pc would be beneficial space wise.

Expect each movie to take up anywhere from 3 - 5 Gb if you're ripping a full movie, less if you choose to decrease the quality. Different software has different settings. Either way, depending on your collection, you may need a massive hard drive.

For software just type in DVD Ripper and you'll find masses to choose from, free and not free.

Bigshow1030

media player will not rip them?

SO in all aspect media player will not rip them.....I do have to have different software. Also, is there a software out there that will do everything for you that I am wanting to do?

thanks,