TeamSpeak 3 Server Setup Issues

Origin Saint

Hi all,

Recently wanted to give TS3 a go. Got the server downloaded and all, and it's set up, but no one can connect. After port forwarding, tried again, nothing. Eventually tried a port checker and it's telling me the ports aren't open like they should be. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

I have the ASUS RT-AC56U router. I'll attach some screenshots of what the port forwarding looks like for good measure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Capture_zpsldwqiwlr.png

Shlouski

VIP Member
When you tried port checker did you have ts running?
I've noticed many times that port checking websites will see my ports as closed when the when the program I opened the port for was not running, then they would magically open when the program was running.

Origin Saint

When you tried port checker did you have ts running?
Yeah, I did.

Sometimes your ISP will block certain ports that they know are popular. In your server files you should be able to change the default port, and then change it on your router.
I'll hold off on that until nothing else works. The last thing I need is to call Time Warner Cable to talk about something technical.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah, I did.

I'll hold off on that until nothing else works. The last thing I need is to call Time Warner Cable to talk about something technical.
I'd be surprised if it was blocked by them. When you run the server, do you get a GUI with it or anything? Mine just executed and ran in the background.

Origin Saint

I'd be surprised if it was blocked by them. When you run the server, do you get a GUI with it or anything? Mine just executed and ran in the background.
Nope. I'm able to connect using localhost and my password, but friends can't get in using my external IP and the password. Port checker tells me the ports aren't open, although I have them set (shown above).

Shlouski

VIP Member
Nope. I'm able to connect using localhost and my password, but friends can't get in using my external IP and the password. Port checker tells me the ports aren't open, although I have them set (shown above).

Maybe you have already tried, but have you deactivated all firewalls and added exceptions in windows?

beers

Staff member
What modem are you using? Does your ac56u WAN IP indicate a public address or a private address?

beers

Staff member
His router is being blocked by the modem because he hasn't yet opened the ports on it.
A modem itself simply transcodes data between mediums. This is done at osi layer 1 and does not handle routing, therefore there would be no ports to forward.

Some modems contain integrated router. What type of address is presented to the downstream will tell you if the modem is natting traffic or not.

Shlouski

VIP Member
A modem itself simply transcodes data between mediums.

Yes, but the modem must have Ethernet ports on it to connect to the switch, also suggests that he needed a switch to connect more devices which would require routing and assigning of IP's, so its most likely a router as well and he will need to open the ports. I too have a modem/router going to a router and its necessary to open the ports on both.

Why do you have this topology?

I thought the same thing, why have some computers on one network and others on another when you could have all the computers on one DHCP Server, makes networking easier.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Switch should be after the router not before unless the zoom modem is also a router. This is why it's easier when you have a separate modem and router. Not modem/router and a second router. Beers should be able to get you going though.

Origin Saint

Bear with me here guys, the one thing in computers I am relatively inept with, is networking. Something I need to work on. I haven't learned, studied, or used much of anything beyond simply getting internet to work and basic router configuration stuff. Minor port forwarding for minecraft servers is probably the most advanced thing I've done.

Does your ac56u WAN IP indicate a public address or a private address?
On my routers main page, it shows a WAN IP address, which I have not noticed, nor used for anything. IPCONFIG results in a IPV4 of: 192.168.2.116. IPCHICKEN results in: 184.54.148.206.
Also, in WAN settings, the WAN IP is set to automatic. Here's some snips:

WAN%20IP_zpsn27bisgm.png

WAN%20Settings_zpsiiy7ihhe.png

Some modems contain integrated router.
This Zoom modem does indeed have wireless routing capabilities as well. Not sure if that changes anything. The webpage configurator includes a section for port forwarding similar to the router I'm directly connected to.

Why do you have this topology?
Time Warner Cable from the telephone pole to the house, plugged into a Zoom modem/router combo we own. Then an ethernet cable is strung out of the house (outside) into a detached Mother-In-Law suite style living quarters, which gets plugged into a TP-LINK 5-port switch. From the TP-LINK switch, there is a old Netgear router plugged in for my S/O's ex-stepfather to use when he's nearby, as well as a cable running down and powering the internet port of the ASUS router. The ASUS router is then directly connected to my Xbox 360, Blu-Ray Player, Roku 3, and desktop (as well as a USB 3.0 external hard drive and a USB 2.0 to a printer).

While the topology is a little weird, it works fine for everything else I've needed to do in the year I've been here, never had an issue with it.

I thought the same thing, why have some computers on one network and others on another when you could have all the computers on one DHCP Server, makes networking easier.
There is basically only one computer on my network ever: mine. The Zoom modem/router in the house provides Wi-Fi for phones and one laptop occasionally + a Roku. The router out here is directly connected to the things above, as well as powering 2 phones, a Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360 and occasionally a laptop. I don't understand DHCP, how to set it up, what it would take to do so (hardware, software, etc...), or why that would even be beneficial.