[Tech Guide] Introduction & General Guide to the Macintosh

tlarkin

VIP Member
Macintosh Tech Guide:

apple_logo.jpg

This guide is meant to introduce someone who is new to computers or new to Macintosh computers. In this guide I will try to provide non biased information to you, the reader, so you can make more educated inferences regarding the Macintosh platform. If you are interested in learning the history of Apple, Inc. I suggest you check out the Wikipedia page on it, here. Do note that this guide is going to skip right to the current models and specifications Apple is currently selling. If you wish to learn about the history I recommend you click on the Wikipedia page.

What makes a Macintosh computer different?

Apple, Inc. designs every aspect of their products they sell. They design the hardware, the software, the firmware and the aesthetics of every single thing they make. This gives them a higher quality control, since they are controlling every aspect of what goes into their computers. However, a Mac is susceptible to failures, bugs, and security exploits just like any other computer or Operating System out there.

What makes it different is that it follows a different business model and different user experience. All apple devices run some version of OS X, which is their
Operating_system
(OS for short). OS X was derived from NeXT, which is a Unix based OS. This makes it very different than say Microsoft Windows OS. The underlying, under-the-hood technologies while similar in some regards are also night and day different in others.

While Apple took a full blown Unix OS, they made it their own. They have over the past near decade added tons of command line binaries, totally revamped the graphical user interface (GUI for short). Apple has always been known for their "eye candy," approach to their products. They took a command line heavy OS and turned it into an easy and efficient OS with a nice, robust, and very easy GUI.

Their business model is always to build from the ground up and always make sure the end user experience is a good one. They are very innovative on how a user will interface with their products. This is their approach. Their competitors take a different approach. Companies like Microsoft give you an OS, and then release SDKs and APIs and allow the end user to kind of "roll their own," interface so to speak. Also, until recently Microsoft never really concentrated on aesthetics of how their GUI looked and interacted with the user. All of this is also easily accomplished in OS X, but the approach is very different, and would constitute a different article all together. Apple wants it to work how they expect it to out of the box. The whole concept of the iMac was you buy it, take it home, plug it in, and you are on the Internet and that is it. This is the kind of innovation that Apple puts into their product, and it does separate them from the rest.

So, when you consider buying a Mac you are buying a complete package. A lot like buying a car with every possible option built in. Keep that in mind when looking at purchasing a Mac. In the end you will need to qualify your needs, but the end all be all will be personal preference. You will buy what you prefer to use.

Dispelling The Myths:

Often when discussing Mac computers on the Internet, you tend to get different answers. You often times also see people arguing over lots of misinformation and some old and busted ideas of what a Mac really is. You get elitists on both sides and that is just how it is. Elitism exists in almost all subject matter, so why would this be any different? Some common myths are as follows:

1. OS X is virus proof
  2. Macs are over priced
  3. Macs are not compatible with other existing technology
  4. You cannot customize a Mac
  5. Macs are better
  6. PCs have way more software available

Now I will try to touch on each of these myths:

OS X is virus proof - While this is currently true in the sense that there are zero viruses in the wild for OS X, that doesn't mean they cannot possibly exist. So, this is kind of a false positive claim, because once one does exist it will fail to be true. Also, there have been tons of proof of concepts of possible viruses for OS X. Almost all of them require some sort of user interaction, so technically I suppose that would fall under malware and not a computer virus. I will leave the security discussion to the security professionals. There are some security professionals that create a group known as MOAB, which is an acronym for Month of Apple Bugs. This was a group of highly ranking computer security professionals, and sure enough they did find security holes in OS X. So, even though OS X uses Unix, and a POSIX system which is by design more secure than Windows set of file permissions, it is not bullet proof. Conceptually on paper it is more secure than Windows, yes, but in practice that is not always the truth. So you can generalize that they are more secure, but most of the security deals with the end user. The end user is a huge factor, and not acknowledging that you need to use best practices will most likely result in the end user getting the Mac rooted.

Macs are over priced - This myth is argued probably the most. Time and time again, if you go through and do a straight up component to component comparison from an Apple computer to any other major computer maker or even a custom built PC they are very comparable. Sometimes the Apple ends up being cheaper. The overall cost of ownership of a Mac is also less. They tend to last longer in terms of end of life, and their resell value holds a lot better than a PC. So, when you go to buy a new Mac you can sell your old one and get a larger return investment on your initial purchase thus mitigating the costs of a brand new one. The only down side to the Mac is that you cannot customize it to the extent you can a PC. While, this can be a huge factor for some people, it doesn't take anything away from the Mac, nor does it make the Mac less of value. Now add in the fact that out of the box with your new Mac and all the software it comes with, it is a pretty decent deal. If the customization is a deal breaker for you, then maybe the Mac really isn't for you.

Macs are not compatible - The Mac can run Windows, windows apps, run Linux, run both Linux and Unix apps via fink or a virtual machine, or by installing another OS on it. Macs can run any software out there period. The downside to this is you may have to dual boot, run a virtual machine or purchase additional software like CrossOver. So, yes some additional costs may incur. Some additional learning of how this software works may also be required. However, the Mac can really run every single piece of software out there if you want to get technical about it. Of course if you do run boot camp you will have to buy a license to Windows, and that does add up to your total out of pocket cost. The bottom line is though, Macs can run practically anything. I am sure there are some vendor specific apps out there that they cannot run, but if you are stuck using a vendor specific app, then you won't be looking at a Mac anyway.

You cannot customize a Mac - This is just false. You can edit almost anything with in the frame work apple provides of their GUI. You can manage menu items, dock items, dock location, wall papers, install themes, and so forth. It is not really as intuitive as Windows per se though perhaps. Most people probably don't want to go into a bunch of XML files or Unix configuration files, or even use the command line at all. A lot of powerful tools lie under the hood of OS X in the shell. There is a lot you can customize, the learning curve may be high once you start getting into the command line. Some third party apps that allow custom themes, have been known to conflict with other parts of OS X. So, I guess when comparing customizations from OS X to any other OS, most other OSes probably have more options readily available, but the Mac can be customized very much.

Macs are better - While you can list pros and cons and build a list of compared features and benefits, this statement is ultimately false. A Mac and a PC are both tools. They are tools that we humans use to accomplish our tasks and goals. Whether it be entertainment, work, education, automation or services both Macs and PCs can pretty much do about the same thing. To say one is better is a matter of opinion more so than fact. The reason I say this is because if you really hate working on OS X or Windows, then you won't use it. You won't use it even if it is proven better than the other because you do not prefer to use it. Personal preference will be a huge factor when using any sort of technology.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Now to look at the basic features of a Mac. First and foremost the GUI of OS X (pronounced OS ten) is called Aqua. You cold compare it to Windows Explorer if you wanted to, since they share a lot of similar features. Apple did separate their window/file manager from their GUI though. The Finder is what controls this. So, below we have a screen shot of what it looks like once you log into OS X. If you have it set to auto login to your account, you won't boot the to login window at all.

desktop-1.png

So that is a screen shot of Aqua. You can see on the left there are icons for mounted volumes on the desktop, the bottom there is a dock, and at along the top is the menu bar. This is a default out-of-the-box 10.6.4 install on an iMac model 9,1. If you look at the right side of the screen where are the icons are you can see that I have partitioned my main boot drive into two partitions. One for the OS and one for data. You will also see a DVD that is mounted on the desktop that I have in my iMac as well. The orange drive named 'external,' is my external firewire drive, and the blue drive is a mounted network share. These are the default colors and icons OS X will give you depending on what you have mounted on your desktop. You can of course customize this later if you want them to be different or unique.

Next is a screen shot of a finder window:
finderwindow.png

This is a lot like an explorer windows in the Windows OS, and is how you navigate through the file system to find Applications, data files, or whatever it is you are looking for. Now in the Finder Window here I have selected my desktop, and notice there are the same icons that are on the previous screen shot. If you have used explorer windows before in Windows, there is really not much explaining to do. The top menu bar gives you sort options, view options and options to create new folders. You can also right click (yes Macs can right click) in a Finder window to get more options as well.

Next up we will look at Exposé. Exposé is a nifty way of managing multiple windows, multiple desktops, and basic clutter with out managing them at all. How often do you work so much on your computer that you have 15+ windows open, lord knows how many files, and of course you got music playing because who wants to work with no music playing? Well, Apple did this very well. In fact, I would be hard pressed to find an OS that does this aspect better. Lets look at some screen shots:

expose.png

This above screen shot here is how you can manage your open windows. If you hit F9 (default configuration) while in Aqua you can put all open windows in a nice and neat row of windows where you can pick what application or window you want to become the active one. So if you are like me and sometimes have way too may windows open in one desktop you can easily find the one you are looking for.

dock_stacks.png

In this above screen shot we see a snap shot of what is called stacks. Stacks are any folder you drag onto the dock and will display all the contents in a pop up window. This allows you to quickly browse any application, file, or anything else you may want very easily with one click of the mouse.

spaces.png

Here is a picture of Spaces. Which is the built in multiple desktop software integrated into Mac OS X. Spaces allows you to run applications in set desktops. This screen shot is actually a combination of spaces and exposé. As you can see I have it viewing all open windows in all assigned desktops. Often I will keep certain tasks open on certain desktops so when I am doing lots of work I know that certain categories of work will go to a specific desktop. I also keep my web browser in a certain desktop to keep myself from browsing all day long.

systemprefernces.png

Here you will see a screen shot of System Preferences. This is basically like the equivalent to 'Control Panels' in Windows. As you can see though there are a lot less options available and it does look a bit more cleaner than Control Panels does in Windows. Obvious deductive logic can be applied here. Network settings are set form the Network icon, and so forth. System Preferences is typically located on your dock and in /Applications/Utilities by default. I don't think this area needs much explanation as if you poke around in System Preferences most of it is self explanatory.

terminal.png

Wrapping this entry up, here is a screen shot of the under-the-hood Unix aspect of OS X. Sure enough there is a full blown bash shell in OS X. I just ran both some basic Unix commands and some Apple specific ones. Even though OS X is Unix, it is really a hybrid form of Unix Apple modified into their own OS. The command line is robust and powerful that any power user or system administrator can take full advantage of. Apple uses launchd to carry out their automated tasks and daemons. Any power user can take the power of launchd and automate all sorts of system tasks. However, there are security risks when users do this, so if you do get in this type of advanced usage I highly recommend you learn the basics of how Unix and OS X work, and you learn the basics of security and best practices.

I will try to touch on comparisons and criticisms next.