Tell me what I am looking at

ssal

On my new built machine, I have AMD Ryzen 7 2600x and GeForce 1060 GTX. I have the following Temperature reading. But I don't know what I am looking at.

The CPU has 8 cores. Should I have 8 temperatures for the 8 cores?
Untitled-1.jpg

ssal

Are you sure that the fans are plugged into the right places? And the Ryzen 7 2600x is a 6 core.
There was some confusion when I plugged the CPU fan cable. I originally plugged it according to the MBO diagram. But the CPU diagram sent me to another plug. I do have a feeling the first attempt was the right place. Now it is in the wrong. But it works any way except the reading is wrong.

The CPU is 8 core.

Okedokey

There is confusion, you've mentionedd the 2600X and you bought the 2700X.

Make sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU header. No other will work correctly as the fan speed is adjusted via temperature sensors. It is shown as item 3 on pp.7 CPU 1 FAN.

ssal

Make sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU header. No other will work correctly as the fan speed is adjusted via temperature sensors. It is shown as item 3 on pp.7 CPU 1 FAN.

Yes. I think I plugged it in the wrong place. I will rearrange it later. Thanks.
I have CD that comes with the MBO. Do I have to use it to update any drivers? I check the drivers for all the devices from Device Manager and they seem to be all up to date.
Also, how do I know the BIOS version I have on my MBO? I would like to flash it to update to be able to accommodate Generation 3 of AMD CPU.
Thanks.

ssal

Forget the CD, it will be out of date.

Chipset driver then restart.

Other drivers.

BIOS
Thank you for the helpful links. I ran the Chipset driver update and have left "Other drivers" alone.
I checked my BIOS and it is P3.30. According to the link, it said "Supports AMD next generation Ryzen™ processors" in 3.20. Does that mean that my MBO had already been updated?

ssal

I loaded CoreTemp to monitor the CPU temperature.

I have just finishing encoding a 12 minute 4K video. The process lasted 12 minutes (amazingly fast). The temperature off the gate was 47C and it rised to 70 after 1/3 of the process and oscillated around 80C towards the end. It never exceeded 81C.

According to what I read about AMD Ryzen 3 2700x, AMD recommends temperature not to exceed 85C. The CPU will start to thermal throttle at 95C.

Am I OK with my current cooling set up (default CPU cooling, with one chassis fan only)? Would adding a couple of chassis fans help?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You may need an aftermarket cooler if you are using stock cooler. Also what is the temperature in the room? You should have an intake fan in front and exhaust in the back.

ssal

You may need an aftermarket cooler if you are using stock cooler. Also what is the temperature in the room? You should have an intake fan in front and exhaust in the back.
At what point do I need extra cooling? As long as the CPU temperature doesn't run above 85C, do I have any concern?

The case has only one fan drawing the air out of the box. There are two openings, one on top (close to the CPU) and one on the front (facing the GPU). Each has room for two 120mm fans. Where should I install them, the top blowing into the CPU, or the front blowing into the GPU? Would 2 fans drawing air into the box, and only one pushing the air out, be efficient?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to have an intake fan. I would put a fan in front to draw cool air in and if you want to put in top fans you'll need to make them exhaust to help draw hot air out.

AlienMenace

This is a general idea of fan placement. When you put the power supply into the case, you had the fan side facing bottom, right?
my-case-airflow-jpg.72026

And I have this sitting on my AMD FX 8320 CPU, it is a "Cooler Master 212".
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...5625&sprefix=cooler+master+212,aps,377&sr=8-3

But I would rather have this one instead if I built the system that you built. https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU-Cooler-Support/dp/B06ZYB8K77

ssal

You need to have an intake fan. I would put a fan in front to draw cool air in and if you want to put in top fans you'll need to make them exhaust to help draw hot air out.
If the temperature never got above 85C, I don't have to do anything for now, don't I?

AlienMenace

You should have at least 1 in the front and you have the one out the back. It's not just the CPU that heats up in the case. And why take a chance of the CPU ever hit 85c. I always see it as being safe than sorry, when it comes to the CPU.

Shlouski

VIP Member
According to what I read about AMD Ryzen 3 2700x, AMD recommends temperature not to exceed 85C. The CPU will start to thermal throttle at 95C.

Though the cpu might not be thermal throttling it may also not be boosting as high as it could, has anyone with a ryzen cpu's noticed at what point their cpu stops turboing?