Temperature abnormally high

72montecarlo

I'm wondering what the cpu temperature of a amd athlon xp2800+ should be. mine runs at anywhere between 45celsius if its cold as hell in my room and 57ish if its warmer. right now its kinda warm but not uncomfortable and its running at about 54. the system temp tho is 37 celsius. my friend has a 2500+ and it runs according to pc alert 4 at 44celsius and his room is about the same temperature as mine now. i dont know if one of our computers is reading the temp incorrectly but mine seems to be hella hotter then his for no good reason. on average 10 degrees celsius hotter. i have plenty of ventilation.. standard cpu fan, 80cm fan blowing right on the mainboard from the inside. one on the side of the case blowing in cold air and one on the back sucking air out of it. i cant figure out why its running so hot but im afraid it could be damaging it in the long run if it gets to hot when its at full load. sry so long tried to be complete. any idea or information would be greatly appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
mine runs at anywhere between 45celsius if its cold as hell in my room
I would think that to be a tad abnormal however "cold as hell" isnt very descriptive .... when I had my Palomino-2100 with -12ºC in my room it ran nice and cool .... but that my take on "cold" heehee

and 57ish if its warmer. right now its kinda warm but not uncomfortable and its running at about 54.
It's higher than I personally would like it to be but nothing to be worried about. The chips can handle temperatures in excess of 85°C.

i cant figure out why its running so hot but im afraid it could be damaging it in the long run if it gets to hot when its at full load. sry so long tried to be complete. any idea or information would be greatly appreciated.
1. Are you using the stock CPU fan? If yes, that's the single biggest factor too cooling that chip down.
2. Is your XP2800 a TBredB or a Barton?
3. Nothing horribly bad will happen with those temperatures ... now if you start to go in excess of 65°C on a regular basis that would definitely be something to look into
4. If you're considering overclocking -- dont. Not with that cooling configuration.

72montecarlo

thx for the help praetor. yes is it is the stock cooling fan setup that came with the chip. It is a Barton im pretty sure. i believe i read it somewhere but i cant recall where from. I guess i dont need to worry about lowering the life expectancy of my cpu only thing i guess im unsure about is my friends 2500 with stock setup runs 10 degrees celsius cooler and has no other fans to move air throughout his case. i did notice tho that although the cpu temps were so far off in comparison , our system temp readings are 37degrees celsius.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
about is my friends 2500 with stock setup runs 10 degrees celsius cooler and has no other fans to move air throughout his case
Sound like your friend is runinng a Barton and you're running a TBredB. Use CPUz to find out (www.cpuid.com) -- it's free. Either that or your friend is running non-stock cooling.

did notice tho that although the cpu temps were so far off in comparison , our system temp readings are 37degrees celsius.
That's just a rough measure of the air inside the case (and mostly affected by the ambient room temperature)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The Barton is a newer and more recent chip than the TbredB. Like I said before, the temps arent horribly high but something to keep note of from time to time. :)