temperature issue

theryaner

banned
I just put together my new computer, but my main issue is the temperatures. My HD4870 does run very hot about 79c idle, which will prob be sorted on the upcoming driver update. Thats great and all but my cpu temps are very high its around 60-70c and when i was rendering out video it jumped to over 90c. I believe these are false reports and my comp shud shutdown automatically but if not... any ideas?

I'm running a Q9450 with an arctic 7.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
What program are you using to get those temps? Have you tried comparing with other monitoring programs?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I think your problem is poor airflow or high ambient temps, since two components are reporting high temperatures. How are your fans set up? You could, of course, check the thermal paste on the CPU and reseat the heatsink, and see if that does anything...

cohen

what case have you got, and what is the air ventulation like???

what fan have you got???

Computer_Freak

Get CPU-ID Hardware Monitor

The 4870 is a hot rinning card (and i dont know how drivers will drop your temps)

The best thing is to get a aftermarket cooler (or fan cause i think that is what is not good on the stock heatsink)

Then add more fans to your system, or swap fans around, so that you get the best temps

Should be Front- In
Sides - In
Back - Out
Top - Out

Last edited:

theryaner

banned
the 4870 supposeably has very efficient power usage and smaller chip sizes. therefore the 4870 shud perform very well under heat but as of now the current drivers are not meant the 4870. Slow fan speeds and lack of the gpu's abillity to underclock when necessary is making it run hot.

Ummm i can use another intake fan at the front just having trouble coming up with a creative way to mount it.

*OK UPDATE*

CPU-ID Hardware Monitor reads that my cores are running at about 48c, which im pretty happy with actually. Realtemp reads about the same, i think my temps will improve as my thermal paste burns in and my video card is updated. Thanks guys.

Last edited: