Temperatures

computernoob1

I have already posted here concerning the high temps of my CPU and now I want to make sure they are alright.
My CPU temps when idle are 36 C to 41 C, mostly stays around 37 C - 39 C (Core 1) and 27 C to 32 C, mostly stays around 31 C (Core 2) (Don't ask me why there is a huge temperature difference, I have no clue) and when I am in an online game (FPS from 2004 : P) they stay around 47 C to 53 C (Core 1) and 39 C to 45 C (Core 2), and as soon as I come out of oblivion it is at 49 C (Core 1) and 42 C (Core 2).
Are these temperatures okay?
I still have not gotten that CPU fan seeing as my CPU is old and they don't even make my socket anymore and in a year or two I will buy another CPU but I am looking into a case fan but the thing is I don't know how many mm my fan is, can anybody help me with this? : P

In case you are wondering I got my temperatures from Core Temp

EDIT: Or should I not bother with the case fan and just buy another case?
This is the case I have now (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PXw1X9WwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg)

Last edited:

Washrag

Those temps are fine. My laptop idles in the 50s and is perfectly fine. Nothing to worry about at all.

Fatback

VIP Member
Those temps sound pretty good for that CPU I once had an Athlon 64 4000+ the temps would get over 60C. If you could post a pick of your case fan that you are replacing I could most likely tell you the size of it. If its the side window fan your are getting then I'm pretty sure it is a 80mm.

RavenPerch

temperature fine, experts even say 80c is also general operating temperature under eg. a video encoding application

computernoob1

Those temps sound pretty good for that CPU I once had an Athlon 64 4000+ the temps would get over 60C. If you could post a pick of your case fan that you are replacing I could most likely tell you the size of it. If its the side window fan your are getting then I'm pretty sure it is a 80mm.

Yeah that's the fan.

teamhex

OP my cores used to be even on temp, but now theres a 4c difference between the cores at idle. It levels out to the same when its under a load though. This was only after I OC'd though

computernoob1

I don't mean to diss you just to inform you. You haven't looked up any info on your PC have you? A socket 939 is an AM2 socket and it is still very much being made. Also there are tons of CPU fans that will work for your system on Tigerdirect.com. Any AM2 socket will work fine.

I have the http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT40030 and it keeps my AMD Athlon X2 5000+ CPU cores under 80F most of the time.

Of course, I've looked up a lot of info on my computer, but like my username says I'm a computer noob, I only know the basics : P

Yea of course you can check all you need is a ruler that has mm on it then just measure the fan.

Okay, do I measure the whole thing, or just the fan? (By the whole thing I mean the chunk of plastic surrounding the fan)

Fatback

VIP Member
The whole fan with plastic and all the dimensions should be 80mm long, 80mm tall, 25mm wide. I think that's it not 100% positive on that but I do know its 80mm x 80mm x 25mm/35mm so just make sure you have those dimensions and you should be fine.

computernoob1

The whole fan with plastic and all the dimensions should be 80mm long, 80mm tall, 25mm wide. I think that's it not 100% positive on that but I do know its 80mm x 80mm x 25mm/35mm so just make sure you have those dimensions and you should be fine.

Okay :D
Thanks a lot for the help

computernoob1

OP my cores used to be even on temp, but now theres a 4c difference between the cores at idle. It levels out to the same when its under a load though. This was only after I OC'd though

I've never overclocked so that can't be it :S
I remember vaguely someone mentioning that it is possible I didn't apply the thermal paste evenly on the CPU, but I don't have any thermal paste handy so I can't see if this is true.

EDIT: Turns out it was you lol
Your temp difference is a bit odd man. You should really make sure you wipe it all of and reapply evenly when you get a new heatsink. Mine will be no more then 2c off from the other core.

Last edited: