Temps cuasing bad game play?

murdock22

Can temps cause laggy/chopping game play? Right now my Pentium D runs at about 65C under load, I have had the problem for awhile now but I had thought it was only with bf2, I starting playing COD2 and notice that I get the same freezes with this game. I would be playing and it suddenly stops with the sound looping over and over for about a min or two then it usually returns to normal or I get disconnected. While playing battlefield 2142 it is the worst, I get constant choppy and/or lag. I have tried all these games on different setting and still get the same outcome. If it isn't the temps then what could be causing this problem?

XanderCage

faulty graphics card. Here is my suggestion, turn on your computer without the side panel on, maybe a fan blowing into the case, if the computer still freezes i suggest you check the fans of the cpu/ gpu, if those are fine it might be just faulty hardware.

murdock22

is there anyway to check if it is a faulty video card? also is there somewhere I can check what the core-slowdown temp is?

Crimsonite

There may be many factors that cause the poor performance. Incompatible drivers, corrupted drivers, corrupted registry key(s), malwares, faulty hardware..etc.

First bring up the TaskManager, click on the Performance tab and check your CPU Usage % & graph. If your CPU is spiking, then something is hogging it. Check the Processes for any suspicious entries running.

The CPU starts throttling down when its "Max Core Temp" is reached, usually around 55c~65c.

murdock22

well, I had been trying to slove this on my own earlier, I have already reinstall windows and all new drivers. so everything is clean and there is now spikes in usage. Does this mean I am hittign the Max Core Temp?

Crimsonite

Remove the CPU heatsink/fan and CPU, clean both the CPU and heatsink thoroughly and carefully. Make sure every bit of old thermal grease is wiped clean. You can just use paper towels but MAKE SURE that you DO NOT get any thermal grease on the CPU pins at all. When applying, do it away from the motherboard. Then get Arctic Silver5 and reapply the thermal paste. Search on Google for the thermal paste applying instructions for your particular CPU. 65c load is way too high.

murdock22

so you think it is my cpu and nothing else? I just don't want to go and spend my money to find out that it is still happening.

Crimsonite

Video card OC doesn't cause CPU to spike...

It's very likely just the old thermal grease has dried up and needs to be reapplied. This is part of the maintanence that is inevitable...

Why would you need to spend money? AC5 is only $5 and it's very easy to DIY...