Testing a mobo

Ekim401

hey all, I was thinking of buying the ASUS A8N-E mobo off of ebay because it is dirt cheap, but I won't have a processor or RAM for it for a couple weeks. Is there any way of testing to see if the motherboard works before getting the CPU and RAM to actually boot it with? Or should I just wait until i'mn ready to get everything?

PS: I have a compatible psu (24pin)

Thanks,

-Mike

Starman*

You've seen the ad "This is your brain" "This is your brain on drugs", well the digital version is "This is your PC" "This is your PC without a cpu".

Unless you have a manufacturer's test facility in your yard, not much you can test. Just bite your nails for the next few weeks!

Starman*

magicman

VIP Member
As Starman said, the real minimum you need to see if a motherboard works is CPU, RAM, and if there's no onboard video then a graphics card as well.

PC eye

banned
You will certainly need a video card known to be working to test the board when you have the other hardwares installed(cpu, memory, perhaps hard drive though not essential). For a look over at the specifications on that model, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530
Most of the newer line of Asus boards don't even offer onboard video on full sized atx models. The models that do have onboard video are usually the Micro-atx boards like the model shown here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570

Ekim401

I guess I will just spend the extra $20/30 on newegg. Only because by the time I get the other parts, if the mobo fails anywhere I will have to send it to ASUS and from what I hear ASUS's support is...well, non existent :)

PC eye

banned
I guess I will just spend the extra $20/30 on newegg. Only because by the time I get the other parts, if the mobo fails anywhere I will have to send it to ASUS and from what I hear ASUS's support is...well, non existent :)

I can readily disagree there. When an Asus Socket A board foobarred lately due to a failing bios tech support promptly responded with info on ordering a replacement. Their online support for updates is excellent for both bios updates, drivers, and utiliites. They have one of the better reps in the industry.

PC eye

banned
A new bios for the A7N8X Rev.2.0 Deluxe that quit was $25 by mail order and will have the version you want on it. The last revision for that model board was the 1008 update. Now figure if you buy a used board and that craps what you will add in price to replace just the bios alone.

Maddhatter

see if i were you i would just pay the extra $30 and get it retail instead of from ebay i never trusted ebay with computer parts unless it was cables and such there's no telling if everything you need will be there or the condition of it

PC eye

banned
On occasion some vendors blow off items there. BUT! Those get sold to the highest bidder generally. It's pretty much the same on "USED" hardwares as well. Sometimes you can get a great deal. It depends on what is being sold and who? is selling it. With a good vendor you get a dealer return policy to take into consideration as well if something is... "foobar"?
Recently when a friend went to build a new case the first and later second board were "foobar"! Before he could ship back the two a third and different model was shipped out and the case has been up and running since. That is due to paying a little more for something new and the vendor standing by the customer. He made out good there for sure.