Testing tools

Punk

Staff member
Some more ideas:
- On the motherboard, are any of the capacitors bulging? They can fail without showing exterior damage though.
- Have you tried a different power supply?
- Have you tried reseating the RAM after putting things back together?

Check the Q-LEDs: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678
Though per your last reply it sounds like they're all normal.

1) I don't see any.
2) I don't have another one unfortunately...
3) This seemed to have done the trick, I exchanged two RAM sticks from the same channel group and the PC started. I'm not really sure what happened or if it fixed everything but we'll see in time :)

Punk

Staff member
Well cleaning everything didn't do the trick. I'm not sure what's dying there and I'm not sure there is a way to find out unless I can replace each component and test it then.

I guess what I can do is build a new one and use some of my old components. I'm thinking that since i'm not gaming that much anymore, I can keep my GPU (R9 380) which is enough for what I do with it and the SSDs/HDDs. RAM will probably have to be changed though, I believe they'll be too old for a newer MB no?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Considering if it is a Z97 motherboard then it has DDR3 ram and we are now on DDR5 and now DDR 4 will slowly die off. I would love to spend the time to figure out whats wrong with it but you are in France lol. Within 30 minutes I could probably tell you what the problem is.

Punk

Staff member
Thanks for your help here John, I really appreciate the responses I got :)

What would have been the steps? It would mean having another part to try to replace each component?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I would do is update bios to the latest version, not sure if you've had any new hardware installed lately that may need a bios update to properly support. Would use a different mouse/keyboard, wired if previously using wireless set. Not sure what bios version you are on but there has been a few updates for system stability. Check to see if you have a system speaker attached to the speaker header on the motherboard for bios beeps. Your processor supports onboard video so would also remove video card and just use onboard for awhile to see if there is a difference. As you can see there is a lot of things that can be done to test. Only have boot hdd attached, no storage drives. Disconnect any and all usb devices not needed. Check event viewers windows logs under system/applications for any info it may tell you.

Punk

Staff member
Well it turns out I had replaced the wrong SSD, as looking at the event viewer showed there were some errors when dealing with a certain SSD. SeaTools also froze when I tested that SSD.
I have ordered a new one, in the meantime I disconnected it and everything is running smooth, as a 7 year old computer should :)

I really appreciate the help I got here, thanks a lot!