Text message costs

speedyink

VIP Member
I just saw an article on the net saying that texting is expensive and all this stuff about paying per text. I thought it was probably a rubbish article, but all the comments agreed and were talking about their expensive texts. Is there really many places without unlimited text plans? In Canada unlimited text is practically standard with any plan, so this has me confused.

So I'm curious, how much do you pay for texting where you are?

Troncoso

VIP Member
I just saw an article on the net saying that texting is expensive and all this stuff about paying per text. I thought it was probably a rubbish article, but all the comments agreed and were talking about their expensive texts. Is there really many places without unlimited text plans? In Canada unlimited text is practically standard with any plan, so this has me confused.

So I'm curious, how much do you pay for texting where you are?

All providers have unlimited text packages, but you save a bit of money if you go with a limited package. The people that complain are the cheap bastard who choose the lowest plan and get mad cause they keep going over their limit and end up paying more than the unlimited plan.

I, myself, don't text a lot. Verizon has this cool plan that's only $10 that gives me unlimited m2m texting and 500 texts outside of verizon phones. Since most the people I associate with have verizon, I don't really have to worry about hitting my limit.

Machin3

If you don't get an unlimited plan, then it really is expensive. I used to have a plan where I could only send out 300 texts per month and I remember going over a couple of times. I think I got charged like almost $100 extra dollars at the end of the month. :(

GaryCantley

I have unlimited here but unlimited in the UK used to mean 3000 texts.

If you went above that the companies would send the heavies round for a few words. Believe it has now changed in the last few months after being highlighted on a consumber show on TV.

mihir

VIP Member
In India it is $2 for 15,000 Text Messages, and if you do not take the special plan, then its like .5/1 cents per message

wolfeking

banned
On our Tmobile plan its $20 for unlimited, and if you dont have unlimited, its .99 per text both incoming and outgoing. the 20 is not bad though, cause between my sister and I last month we had 3k text (in and out combined), so it was only .006 per text.

apj101

VIP Member
you can get the unlimited data plans and then just use something like google voice to send text, heck ever make calls and save on minutes
[/end google voice spam]

Justin

VIP Member
Wouldn't that easily drain your phones' battery real quick?

I'm not subscribed to an unlimited data plan but my carrier allows you to for short periods of time (1 day, 5 days, 1 month) by just texting a code to have it activated. Whenever I do unlimited data even if I'm not surfing the internet most of the time just by having 3G enabled, my iPhone's battery lasts half a day.

apj101

VIP Member
Wouldn't that easily drain your phones' battery real quick?

I'm not subscribed to an unlimited data plan but my carrier allows you to for short periods of time (1 day, 5 days, 1 month) by just texting a code to have it activated. Whenever I do unlimited data even if I'm not surfing the internet most of the time just by having 3G enabled, my iPhone's battery lasts half a day.

calling yes, texting not really

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
moved to smartphones

We pay either $20 or $30/month for the att unlimited family plan and it's a ****ing waste of money imo. My wife prefers texting me (and everyone in general), they no longer carry the $5/200 txt plan, so this is the only deal that makes sense for us (by us, I mean my wife ofc).

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
you forgot the after a 100 buck base fee or something like that, 15 bucks a person will never happen, but if only it did......

Well yeah. The overall total (landline included) is like $170 or something like that. My father and I still carry the unlimited data plan for $30 each as well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have sprint and have the 450 minute plan with unlimited web, texting, picture messaging and only pay $69 a month and then I get a 25 percent discount. I can call any mobile phone, doesn't matter who the carrier is and i don't use my minutes. Only use my minutes when I call or recieve from a land line.