Thank You BT Broadband

Would just like everyone to know what warm big thank you i feel honoured to be able to give BT Broadband for providing me with such a wonderful reliable super fast internet service over these last few days.

BT THANK YOU SO MUCH YOUR DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE AWESOME!!!

Screenshot.png
[/URL]

after just 2 days i am already well over half way to completing the download of my graphics drivers and am happily excited knowing and confident i will have them by the end of the week, so thank you so very much

Are you over wifi? Could be bad signal.

nope, I get the same results from my PC that is on a gig Ethernet connection to my router also, the problem is not internal, I have even tried bypassing the master phone socket and wired my router direct into the terminal (connection box) where the main phone line enters the house, checking the incoming connection wiring into the connection box even, its all fine.

This is the Internet Speed I have been receiving since switching BT, the swap of ISP was 100% due to giving me the ability to have BT Sports, BT are not even cheaper than my last provide, in fact they are a considerable amount more expensive, oh and almost forgot to mention, BT Sports along with ever other BT Vision channel is a service I am not receiving because the connection is so slow that the box does not even recognise that its online.

I have contacted them and they dont even acknowledge there is a problem worth inspecting, even though I could double my connection speed right now by switching to dial up.

Have tired 3 different routers including the one provided by BT as a standard part of the package, and every filter I could lay my hands on, which is about 10 of them, still the same sh1t every time.

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Threaten to leave, you'll soon have an engineer knocking at your door!

I wouldn't put up with them sorts of speeds, I'm in the same boat, paying for 'up to' 76Mb/s FTTC and receiving 3Mb/s with TalkTalk, although it is partly my fault, room renovations mean we've knocked out the master socket and using a line jack instead, the line profile has plummeted through the floor.

Seeing as you want BT sports, the only thing I can suggest is use BT for the TV, and switch provider for internet & phone if that's possible :) How long do you have left on your contract?

Threaten to leave, you'll soon have an engineer knocking at your door!

I wouldn't put up with them sorts of speeds, I'm in the same boat, paying for 'up to' 76Mb/s FTTC and receiving 3Mb/s with TalkTalk, although it is partly my fault, room renovations mean we've knocked out the master socket and using a line jack instead, the line profile has plummeted through the floor.

Seeing as you want BT sports, the only thing I can suggest is use BT for the TV, and switch provider for internet & phone if that's possible :) How long do you have left on your contract?

BT sports is free with BT Broadband, there is no other way to get it, so you have to have there Broadband, been with them just a few weeks, guessing the contract is at least a year, so would probably be quicker and easier to move house.

GaryCantley

Those speeds denote a "line problem".

BT will not tell you that on the phone although the OpenReach engineers will agree but are not allowed to offer it as an explanation.

Get an email off to [email protected] , head of BT Group. This bypasses the overseas call centres and normally puts you onto the lads in Newcastle who are very good.

Aastii

VIP Member
Just a heads up that you can get BT sports on Virgin and I believe on Sky as well now. Not "free" (How can it be free when you are paying for internet and TV, surely it is then part of the package that you are paying for ;)), but certainly available. As a Virgin customer I can confirm this is the case.

You should still get in touch with them and get an engineer out, you aren't getting the internet or TV service that you were expecting, even though you have proof that it is more than fixable

lucasbytegenius

Just wanted to point out Microsoft's Speed Test app you're using is known for giving out bad results. Use Speedtest.net instead.

spirit

Staff member
I assume since you're with BT you are in the UK, so where in the UK are you? If you're very rural, then you're going to get slow internet of course. If you're in an urban area, then it should be much faster than that, so definitely get in touch with them.

I'm just outside of Norwich and my internet speed (with Plusnet) is about 5MB/s down and 600KB/s up. I have grandparents who live not too far from me, maybe about 10 miles away, but in the countryside, and their speeds are far slower with the same provider.

I assume since you're with BT you are in the UK, so where in the UK are you? If you're very rural, then you're going to get slow internet of course. If you're in an urban area, then it should be much faster than that, so definitely get in touch with them.

I'm just outside of Norwich and my internet speed (with Plusnet) is about 5MB/s down and 600KB/s up. I have grandparents who live not too far from me, maybe about 10 miles away, but in the countryside, and their speeds are far slower with the same provider.

Area is rural'ish but not that remote, its a small town in a rural area in the East Midlands, Internet was fine before switching to BT, never had any problems before with old provider who happened to be Carphone Warehouse (Not sure who they where running us via was free as part of some package with Gas n Electric with them), but still it always worked fine, never measured the speeds never needed to.

But I know it has never been like this before, thats why I downloaded that test since I could see it was taking the p1ss slow, main complaint was coming from the kids who cant use the play stations to game on-line or use the Internet properly with there I-Pad's or laptops, not to mention the fact we can't even get BT Sports or use BT Vision in anyway, which was the whole point and only reason we gave up a FREE internet service we could have continued using, because the Box just thinks its not connected.

Have tried different cables and ports on the router, different routers even we have 3 of them in the house have tried them all, same speed every-time, have tried everything bar a new BT Vision Box to get it to work, and nothing the box thinks there is no Internet connected, not that you could use it effectively at that speed anyway since BT vision is nothing more than a form of live streaming, and this really is half the speed of dial up even some times much worse which says it all, assuing I'm right in thinking dial up should measure 0.56 Mbps on that test.

I have had sh1t with BT before at a different address, I would have never even dreamed of using there service on anything line renal included ever again if not for the Football on BT Sports, we have Sky as well so again there I would have had the option of a much better deal on Line Rental and Internet, making BT way more expensive than other providers I could be using right now. these days seems only way to get a good deal is to have line renal with whoever you choose as your ISP, SO I switched to there Rental as well. fairly sure I tied into a contact with them there also.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I think Plusnet is owned by BT now, and back around July time we are getting terribly slow and inconsistent speed 'all of a sudden'. We got an engineer round and they sorted the problem, so I recommend you maybe do the same. The engineer seemed quite helpful and even went up the road to look at the problem and change something for us.

If Lucas' post is anything to go by, you might want to try using speedtest.net and see what you get. Post the results here.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah that's pretty poor. I would definitely get in touch with an engineer if I were you.