That Whirring Noise

The Chad

Hey all,

So recently whenever I begin playing a game and the GPU's fan speeds up, it starts making this terrible whirring noise. I've done a complete dust and cable check, nothing is obstructing the fan whatsoever.

I took it down to a local IT shop hoping that maybe it just needed to be oiled but upon opening it up all the way to the fan we discovered you can't place oil in. Its a solid copper core with no where to insert the oil.

Any suggestions thus far?

I've been hoping there is a simple fix for this, hopefully as cheap as possible. Otherwise would an aftermarket cooler be the solution?

Additional info: ATI Radeon HD 5870, about two and a half years old.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Hey all,

So recently whenever I begin playing a game and the GPU's fan speeds up, it starts making this terrible whirring noise. I've done a complete dust and cable check, nothing is obstructing the fan whatsoever.

I took it down to a local IT shop hoping that maybe it just needed to be oiled but upon opening it up all the way to the fan we discovered you can't place oil in. Its a solid copper core with no where to insert the oil.

Any suggestions thus far?

I've been hoping there is a simple fix for this, hopefully as cheap as possible. Otherwise would an aftermarket cooler be the solution?

Additional info: ATI Radeon HD 5870, about two and a half years old.

does your gpu got overheating problems? what are it's temps?
and is it in every game?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your fan is just bad. Just look into some aftermarket GPU heatsinks, or buy a new GPU.

The Chad

No the temperatures are perfect.

Alright, will look into coolers. Do you have any suggestions or tips when looking into an aftermarket cooler?