The AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

pcktwtch

I am planning to sell my current intel setup for an AMD and i was going to use the AMD Phenom II X6 as my CPU. However theres is not as much talk of this CPU on youtube as i would have expected there to be for AMD's answer to the i7 :S There seems to be more talk of the AMD Phenom II X4 processor so which one will be best??

claptonman

What are you doing with the computer? For video and photo rendering, and other applications, the x6 would be beneficial. For gaming and normal use, the X4 is a good choice.

pcktwtch

What are you doing with the computer? For video and photo rendering, and other applications, the x6 would be beneficial. For gaming and normal use, the X4 is a good choice.

Im going to be gaming mostly and why is the quadcore better than the hexa core for this?

claptonman

Its not better, but no games utilize 6 cores. They barely support 4 cores. Getting a quad is smartest decision.

claptonman

Its the cheaper route for roughly the same performance. In games, it is usually the graphics card that is holding the CPU back. Tests have shown that when paired with dual 6990s, the intel CPU does outperform the AMD, but for gaming an AMD CPU is plenty of power and you would only notice minimal difference. My AMD CPU gets 60+ fps in BF3.

Its the cheaper route for roughly the same performance. In games, it is usually the graphics card that is holding the CPU back. Tests have shown that when paired with dual 6990s, the intel CPU does outperform the AMD, but for gaming an AMD CPU is plenty of power and you would only notice minimal difference. My AMD CPU gets 60+ fps in BF3.

but from the way he worded it, it sounds like he has a perfectly fine intel rig and just wants amd instead, unless his intel build is outdated, but just his wording made it sound like he wants amd more then intel so he is selling his intel just for amd

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
why would you go AMD instead of intel?? that confuses me, intel is just all around better so why sell an intel set up for an amd one?
Perhaps not. At least here AMD CPUs are often cheaper at a given performance level, while usually Intel's only advantage at a given price point is energy efficiency since AMD chips do tend to be rather hot and hungry. Even that's changing with the new Fusion APUs, they have very good TDP and power consumption especially considering that they come with pretty capable graphics hardware, far more so than Intel's integrated graphics.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I would not get the 1055 anyway. Its clocked low and is not unlocked, so the default low multiplier makes it harder to overclock. You would be better off going with a Phenom II 955 or 970 or even the 960T. With the right board and a good chip, the 960T can be unlocked to a 6 core.