"The bestest firewall&antivirus&spyware softa?"

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
So, I need to install some kinda security programs on muh new vista laptop... I'd just like to know what do you know is the best free firewall&antivirus software out there? I've had very positive experiences with AVG, and I've heard it's very reliable, so I might go with that (unless someone comes up with a better idea), but I'm kinda unsure as to what firewall to get... I've used Comodo Firewall Pro, but I'd like to know it there's anything better out there...

Also, what's the best anti-spyware/malware/adware program? I've used both Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, but I don't know which one is better (or are there better ones out there?)

And are there going to be any problems/conflicts if you have multiple firewalls/anti-virus/spyware programs running at once? Other than the performance hit my computer might take...

Oh and I'd like something lightweight, something that won't be too much of a strain on my singlecore running Vista Basic...

So what kinda configuration would *you* suggest?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Avira Antivir for free AV. It's definitely the best, give it a search. I find that Comodo is the best free software firewall, Zonealarm coming up second.. I use both Spyware terminator and SUPERantispyware together for AS protection. SUPER is heavy duty but the free version doesn't come with resident protection so I use Terminator for that. It comes with a HIPS system too!

Conflicts should only be expected when more than one program attempts to do the same thing. Two AV's with resident protection, two software firewalls, etc.

Keep the SUPERantispyware startup service disabled, since you only use it to scan. You shouldn't have any problems on a single core, I used a similar setup on mine while back.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
O.K. so how about the HIPS of Comodo? Should I go with that or disable it and get the Terminator to do the job? I assume that having both doing the HIPS thing would be a problem...?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Have only one enabled, yeah. I dunno which one is "better", but I'd say Comodo.

It can get annoying though, I have it disabled most of the time. :rolleyes:

GameMaster

There already is one sticky here on Security subforum, true.
But it seems that we should create like 100 of them until people can't miss one!!

I don't know how you guys still have the nerves to constantly repeat your antivirus and antispyware and firewall, while all of them are with reviews and download links placed in a sticky right here!