The case for nVidia 280

omechengineeru

So here is my justification for buying this card: The recent drop in price make it able to get the standard 280 for less than $400 or the BFG OCX for around 420. This is the fastest card on the market next to the Dual radeon card for about 100 cheaper. Plus you get the physics engine, the cooler running, and you get the opportunity to help mankind by F@H... so if your looking for performance and future proofing i don't see how you can't go with the 280:D

Droogie

Because you can get the 4870 for almost $200 cheaper, keeping in mind that the GTX 280 is hardly better.

The way technology moves today it's almost impossible to future proof your graphics card.

just a noob

but it is the fastest single core on the market currently, if you must have the fastest of everything, then you'll have to get three of them

Karlos1981

Im upgrading and i said id never go for a duel card solution adter the fickality of my 7950 gx2. I was going with a 4870 or a gtx 280 but something is urging me toi wait for the 4850 x2.

X24

but it is the fastest single core on the market currently, if you must have the fastest of everything, then you'll have to get three of them

GPU's don't scale all that well, triple sli is a complete joke aswell. Most motherboards don't even run the 3rd pci-e at 16x.

If you wanted the fastest of everything, You'd go with 2 4870X2's crossfired. Still I'd just end it with 1 4870X2 since the scaling still isn't really worth it and the X2 will pretty much handle any game you can throw at it.

Mez

ok... since none of you answered his original question I will.

I would suggest the Antec 300, 900, or 1200. You can find all of them on Newegg.com just search it =P

fade2green514

actually the 4870 handles higher graphics settings better in some cases.. some games are designed for nvidia though, but in my opinion the HD 4800 series cards are the best on the market just because they'll last you longer.. i mean 800 processors, come on.

mikesrex

I can't justify paying 400ish for a graphics card when it will simply be reduced in price when the new stuff comes out. If you absolutely have to have the best stuff out there (and want to spend big bucks) then go for it.

In a situation where this stuff continuously gets outdated, you have to consider how much you will spend and what you get for your money. My decision for graphics cards is to spend at most around the 200 range. And currently that would put me with either a HD4850(170ish) or a 9800GTX+ (200ish), both having similar performance per dollar ratios.