The computer does't recognize any drives

älek

Hello!

My computer doesn't recognize any of my drives (both primary/secondary drives). And I can't open BIOS.
Could it be that my motherboard is damaged?

Thanks in advance...

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
how would u know it didnt recognize the drives if the motherboard is damaged ?
does anything appear on the screen ?
and if so ... what is it ?

älek

shadyi said:
how would u know it didnt recognize the drives if the motherboard is damaged ?
does anything appear on the screen ?
and if so ... what is it ?

First of all, it says "detecting IDE drives".
Then, after primary/secondary drives it shows "none". The only disk drive my computer can see is the floppy drive.

Maybe I should reset BIOS?

älek

StrangleHold said:
Is this a new build or was working then just stoped picking up your drives

It's a new build.
It happened after I was trying to replace my DVD-drive with hard disk (as a secondary master).
The computer didn't boot after that, so I replaced the hard drive with DVD-drive. The computer booted, but I noticed that the cable was loose at the DVD-player end. So I mounted the cable properly and shut down the computer, but I couldn't restart it.

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
then ur motherboard is fine
just try removing the DVD cables and boot to see if it recognizes the HDD
if so ... then at least u knew where is the problem
if not try to open the bios and do this manually (of course u know how to set the master and slave drives manually !!)

StrangleHold

Staff member
So I mounted the cable properly and shut down the computer, but I couldn't restart it.

Did you shut down before fooling with the cable or while it was running, never change any connection inside while its running

älek

shadyi said:
then ur motherboard is fine
just try removing the DVD cables and boot to see if it recognizes the HDD
if so ... then at least u knew where is the problem
if not try to open the bios and do this manually (of course u know how to set the master and slave drives manually !!)

Thanks for your advice!
Yeah, I was thinking about removing the DVD cables (I'm at work, so I can't give it a try at the moment). But how can I use the DVD drive then?
I know how to set the drives manually, but the BIOS won't open!

älek

StrangleHold said:
So I mounted the cable properly and shut down the computer, but I couldn't restart it.

Did you shut down before fooling with the cable or while it was running, never change any connection inside while it running

No, it was running. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but it was a spontanious move :confused:

And the jumpers are set properly

StrangleHold

Staff member
I.ve never unpluged or pluged in a IDE while running, hope you didnt short the IDE slot, where both drives on the same IDE or one on IDE 1 and the other on IDE 2

älek

StrangleHold said:
were both drives on the same IDE or one on IDE 1 and the other on IDE 2
No, they were on different IDE-s (the hard disk was primary and the dvd-drive was secondary)

StrangleHold

Staff member
If there on different IDE cables try hooking the DVD as slave on the same IDE cable as the harddrive if you dont already have another drive there, and shut it down first and unplug, touch the powersupply before moving anything it will discharge any static you have

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not being a smart ass but I have seen many people get in a hurry and forget to plug in there power connecters to there drives:eek: