the device, \device\harddisk0 has a bad block

daygowop

Ok guys, I need your help. There is a PC at my work that is getting this error message in the event viewer, "the device, \device\harddisk0 has a bad block." I first recieved this error message when I was trying to back it up with Acronis. The back up does not complete because it reports a bad sector. The comp has windows server 2003 on it. Any suggestions?????

evanscnce

There is a program. It costs around 80 or so. Its called SpinRite. Its supposed to fix like 95% of all damaged (not physically) hard drives. I would say give that a shot.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Try using the diagnostic tools the hard drive manufacturer has. If the drive is failing (usually when these errors start) then you will need to get a new one. You might be able to recover the data with spinrite.

Do you have an older backup you can use (or are the drives in a RAID1/5) so that you can safely replace the drive and recover most/all of your data?

daygowop

Try using the diagnostic tools the hard drive manufacturer has. If the drive is failing (usually when these errors start) then you will need to get a new one. You might be able to recover the data with spinrite.

Do you have an older backup you can use (or are the drives in a RAID1/5) so that you can safely replace the drive and recover most/all of your data?

I think im gonna go ahead and try that, my friend reccomended that to me. thanks! I will let u guys kno what happens