The Future of Computers

geek0x00

This is my prediction for the future of computing:
2015: Wireless power supplies encompass public regions; laptops no longer need batteries.
2020: Desktop computers go obsolete; the new mobile standard will be some sort of iPad-like thing with a retractable physical keyboard and at least a 2 GigaFLOPS processor and a 128 GB solid-state drive.
2025: Microsoft, Google, and the Free Software Foundation/GNU Project share the operating system market, with each having roughly a third. Apple would go either bankrupt or obsolete unless it actively supports Hackintoshes and make OSX not the Mac operating system, but another competitor to Windows.
2030: Every house will have a very powerful integrated computer system built into the building itself (quite like HAL 9000 in 2001), managing air conditioning and everything, and most importantly, acts as the main computing device for ALL laptops and tablets of the family: it does the computing, and all of the other things are just terminals with a 1 GHz ultra-low-voltage CPU with nothing but an X server connected with the house through a gigabit internet connection.
2035: Popularization of human-computer integration. Computers will go in people's clothing, and hats will contain retinal display devices, and people will control the computer in their clothes with something like a miniature Wii attached to one of their fingers. More powerful computing devices can fit in backpacks and helmets.
2040: Who knows?

Last edited:

geek0x00

But remember, in my timeline we would have cyborgs by 2035...if you can call that "cyborg". We could hook up weapons and telescopes to a backpack/hat computer, and viola, a cyborg.

Dystopia

This is my prediction for the future of computing:
2015: Wireless power supplies encompass public regions; laptops no longer need batteries.
2020: Desktop computers go obsolete; the new mobile standard will be some sort of iPad-like thing with a retractable physical keyboard and at least a 2 GigaFLOPS processor and a 128 GB solid-state drive.
2025: Microsoft, Google, and the Free Software Foundation/GNU Project share the operating system market, with each having roughly a third. Apple would go either bankrupt or obsolete unless it actively supports Hackintoshes and make OSX not the Mac operating system, but another competitor to Windows.
2030: Every house will have a very powerful integrated computer system built into the building itself (quite like HAL 9000 in 2001), managing air conditioning and everything, and most importantly, acts as the main computing device for ALL laptops and tablets of the family: it does the computing, and all of the other things are just terminals with a 1 GHz ultra-low-voltage CPU with nothing but an X server connected with the house through a gigabit internet connection.
2035: Popularization of human-computer integration. Computers will go in people's clothing, and hats will contain retinal display devices, and people will control the computer in their clothes with something like a miniature Wii attached to one of their fingers. More powerful computing devices can fit in backpacks and helmets.

2040: Who knows?

Honestly, I do NOT want to live in a world like that. Computers are way to big a part of our lives. WAY to big.

MyCattMaxx

2015. No way that's happening. I don't even see that happening in my lifetime. The frequencies and the power involved will cook the human body. In a truly mobile application.

2030. Wrong not every house. Most couldn't afford it and a lot won't want it. That's not something a self doer can fix..

2035. Wrong again. Most people don't want big brother in their life.

Last edited:

geek0x00

I mean, if I had a gigabit worldwide internet connection, I could make use of my old Pentium 4 and create TONS of terminals as slow as the iPad. And wireless power supplies...they wouldn't cook you.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Inductive_charging
(the only reason I use mobile phone wikipedia is because wikipedia is blocked in china :()

geek0x00

That's not something a self doer can fix...
Well, I could fix that, in 2010...:) In fact, if you don't want to connect 10+ terminals, you could just use a Pentium 4. Or even a laptop. Just recently I actually ran FreeBSD on our Pentium 4 and made a netbook a terminal via WLAN. If the Internet ever gets as fast as Wireless LAN, then we can do that WORLDWIDE.

MyCattMaxx

You may be able to by then but most won't.
I started making a living repairing electronics in the 70's and know my way around computers. My first was a Vic20 and I had to write my own programs.
In my life I find a lot of people who can't do anything themselves.
Most won't want to buy a house that when something goes out they have to pay high $$ for someone to fix.
I also don't want a house that someone could hack. So it would have to be offline.

The inductive pads aren't what I would call portable. So a battery will still be needed.

Wireless power transmission has been tried many times over the years. You still don't see it in action. Except for a small current draw on a pad that charges. Wireless yes. Distance NO.

Last edited:

geek0x00

I also don't want a house that someone could hack.
This is CNN News reporting. On July 5 2032 the house of Joe Smith was hacked by a team of hackers, apparently from a Chinese malware company. We will now interview Smith on the videophone.

CNN: "Hello Smith?"
Smith: "Hi. The day before yesterday I drove back from work in my old manually controlled car, and found my house's doors opening and closing over and over. When I entered the house to investigate, I found that the telephone was disabled, the air conditioning was set to 32 degrees Celsius, and it was so hot that I immediately ran to the control room to change the setting. When I got there, I can't login to the system, and I knew that my house was hacked. Then, the phone went online, and I got an urgent phone call stating that while she was getting back home in her autopilot car, and it suddenly started to drive recklessly through small alleyways towards the wrong direction, while constantly alarming 'Wrong side of the road. Traffic ticket." Then suddenly her car stopped, and created a big traffic jam."
CNN: "What do you think caused this?"
Smith: "I was using an RSA-2048 cipher. I'm kind of an old guy, and thought that was unbreakable. Must have not read the news on the new quantum processors."

Thank you Smith. Nowadays, your home server may suffer an attack from these hackers, as apparently nobody abides by the law that quantum computers should not be sold to anyone with a hacking history. We recommend that you now use a RSA-8192 cipher to encrypt your communications. To get instructions on using one, please go down to your local GNU store or the GNUPG website.

MyCattMaxx

geek, If you make it someone will hack it.
There will never be something that is truly hack proof. IMHO
Except for Nagra 3 at the moment.

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

This is CNN News reporting. On July 5 2032 the house of Joe Smith was hacked by a team of hackers, apparently from a Chinese malware company. We will now interview Smith on the videophone.

CNN: "Hello Smith?"
Smith: "Hi. The day before yesterday I drove back from work in my old manually controlled car, and found my house's doors opening and closing over and over. When I entered the house to investigate, I found that the telephone was disabled, the air conditioning was set to 32 degrees Celsius, and it was so hot that I immediately ran to the control room to change the setting. When I got there, I can't login to the system, and I knew that my house was hacked. Then, the phone went online, and I got an urgent phone call stating that while she was getting back home in her autopilot car, and it suddenly started to drive recklessly through small alleyways towards the wrong direction, while constantly alarming 'Wrong side of the road. Traffic ticket." Then suddenly her car stopped, and created a big traffic jam."
CNN: "What do you think caused this?"
Smith: "I was using an RSA-2048 cipher. I'm kind of an old guy, and thought that was unbreakable. Must have not read the news on the new quantum processors."

Thank you Smith. Nowadays, your home server may suffer an attack from these hackers, as apparently nobody abides by the law that quantum computers should not be sold to anyone with a hacking history. We recommend that you now use a RSA-8192 cipher to encrypt your communications. To get instructions on using one, please go down to your local GNU store or the GNUPG website.

Totally Lol'd at this although it is very possible if houses and other things were to go this way and go online.

iGeekOFComedy

Mac wont go bankrupt and if they do say good bye to graphic design jobs and video editors, we will go back to paper and crayons and sissors with 35mm film AND BTW unless your pentium 4 can play HD video the iPad is faster!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not going to happen. I'm a old man and I thought by now we would be going to Mars and driving hovercraft. But no, we cant even go back to the moon and drive cheap (expensive) pieces of crap.

geek0x00

Not going to happen. I'm a old man and I thought by now we would be going to Mars and driving hovercraft. But no, we cant even go back to the moon and drive cheap (expensive) pieces of crap.

No. Computers develop WAY faster than other tech. Just watch 2010: The Year We Make Contact. Other tech are more advanced than that of the real 2010, but computers, well, worse than Pentium 4's.

geek0x00

Mac wont go bankrupt and if they do say good bye to graphic design jobs and video editors, we will go back to paper and crayons and sissors with 35mm film AND BTW unless your pentium 4 can play HD video the iPad is faster!
Graphic design jobs...well, they can use KDE, which has plenty of cool photo/graphic apps. And anybody can use GIMP. I edit videos for my homeschool co-op (I'm 13), and guess what platform I use? FreeBSD 8.1. You need to wake up and see that Mac no longer has any advantage in graphic and design. Except that the stereotypical designer from the 1990s has an iBook.

Edit: My Pentium 4 plays 720p AVC. It all depends on the GPU, you know.

iGeekOFComedy

Graphic design jobs...well, they can use KDE, which has plenty of cool photo/graphic apps. And anybody can use GIMP. I edit videos for my homeschool co-op (I'm 13), and guess what platform I use? FreeBSD 8.1. You need to wake up and see that Mac no longer has any advantage in graphic and design. Except that the stereotypical designer from the 1990s has an iBook.

Edit: My Pentium 4 plays 720p AVC. It all depends on the GPU, you know.

Do you honestly think fourtune 500 companies are going to use an non support sans forum version of Linux. Oh of course Adobe will invest illustrator and Photoshop into KDE :rolleyes: . And seriously! FreeBSD8.1 for video editing, does your video editing platform support Multitrack layering, Customizable filtering, Upto 99 PIPs and 99 Audio tracks? Also what is your Graphics program like Motion or After Effects?

Also nobody has iBooks anymore, they are called MacBook, And it's strange because while you think they are gonna go bankrupt every quarter their Macs are selling more. Also GIMP is a open source project with no web/phone support. And the GPU doesn't matter unless it specifically has HD decoding abilities. So if theres a FX5200 in there IT WILL NOT decode the video at all, It can't.

--
Also only like 0.17% of everyone in the world uses an Hackintosh. So of course if Apple helps them it will dig them out of a ditch :rolleyes: And if Mac becomes compatible with PCs the Mac OS will no longer be efficient or good because they will need to design driver combinations with over at least 2,000 chipset combinations and growing.

Last edited:

Mez

In 2040 "the bombs" will fall from the Chinese Imperial army after we defeat them from invading Alaska thinking we won the war. Starting the worlds first Nuclear Apocalypse. But, from US Intelligence Vault Tec. Corporation starts building underground "homes" in which houses civilizations, but flaws in picking the leaders of each vault. Then one day your dad escapes from the vault you are in to help create this water purifier which may save the world, so you decide to follow him, running into mutated creatures, and humans. Finally finding him in another vault but trapped and then you rescue him and bring him to the water purifier where he dies no more than 5 minutes later and then you have to finish the project yourself and venture into an iradiated vault which a bomb directly fell on and get the G.E.C.K which is needed to start the purifier and then you start it, but the US "government" captures it and you have to escape from then, but then you find out the president is a Computer so you cause him to self destruct, crippling the Enclave, but then you have to walk all the way back to the purifier because apparently no one knows where you disappeared to. But you make it back and are able to start the purifer, but something happened in the pressure chamber so you have to go and have to sacrifice YOUR OWN LIFE for the goodness of mankind.

1337dingo

In 2040 "the bombs" will fall from the Chinese Imperial army after we defeat them from invading Alaska thinking we won the war. Starting the worlds first Nuclear Apocalypse. But, from US Intelligence Vault Tec. Corporation starts building underground "homes" in which houses civilizations, but flaws in picking the leaders of each vault. Then one day your dad escapes from the vault you are in to help create this water purifier which may save the world, so you decide to follow him, running into mutated creatures, and humans. Finally finding him in another vault but trapped and then you rescue him and bring him to the water purifier where he dies no more than 5 minutes later and then you have to finish the project yourself and venture into an iradiated vault which a bomb directly fell on and get the G.E.C.K which is needed to start the purifier and then you start it, but the US "government" captures it and you have to escape from then, but then you find out the president is a Computer so you cause him to self destruct, crippling the Enclave, but then you have to walk all the way back to the purifier because apparently no one knows where you disappeared to. But you make it back and are able to start the purifer, but something happened in the pressure chamber so you have to go and have to sacrifice YOUR OWN LIFE for the goodness of mankind.

mind... BLOWN.. WTH lol