The Good Old Days

Did you ever have a computer with a turbo button.

• Heck yeah, i was flyin in turbo mode all the time.

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Computers had turbo buttons?

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

Jet

VIP Member
Back in the day, my family had a 486 with a turbo button on it. We used that computer lots! Any of you remember, or have played, the original Need For Speed? :D Now THAT was what I call gaming..

brian

VIP Member
i am only 15 and i rembore!!! we... that is b/c my boss gave me one with it on it :D. also what about the lcd display. that i wish some still have

Jabes

banned
I didn't know wat a turbo button was but I think I remember seeing one on an old computer maybe my moms old dos

Emperor_nero

I have a keyboard that says turbo around somewhere I think. And I've had a couple I think that had a turbo button so did my mothers 95.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I had one but trashed it due to an ROM failure...

I thought Turbo increased your CPU speed? The little panel always went from 66 to 100 or 133 everytime I pressed it.

Bradan

ya seriously it increases cpu speed a ridiculous amount.

its liek a "50% oc button"

my friend had one pc we used to play heroes 3 on when we were in gr 4.

it's kind of like a manual power save feature i guess.

Geoff

VIP Member
The turbo button didn't speed up the mouse. It was used to slow down the computer so you can run older apps that wouldnt run no the current PC's. The processor is set at a certain speed, the turbo button didnt overclock it, but when it was depressed it was a certain percentage lower.

StrangleHold

Staff member
On the 486s it would cause wait states to the processor and even disable the CPUs cache, later with the 386s it would just lower the CPUs MHZs by lowering the FSB by a few MHZs.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
wow, i thought everyone would remember that. i had no idea so many people had never heard of such a thing. I think on the one i had bumped a 30 mhz processor way up to 33mhz.