The good old "my bootable cd doesnt boot" thread

Zargot

Okey. This is a common problem, no doubt. hopping around google havent helped, so heres the status:

I've got vista installed on my stationary pc. I'm replacing it with XP, and since windows is a bastard it wont let me start the install inside of the OS. My pc recognizes the cd in the OS, the bios sees my DVD drive, i've set the bios to only boot from the CDs, yet it doesnt do what i want it to. It just keeps booting from the harddrive :(

i've tried everything i can think of, any tips?

StrangleHold

Staff member
At the bottom of the bios screen when it first boots, is there a push a certain key for your boot order?

tremmor

i think your results will be better if ya mention what computer. if its oem then that may be part of the problem. example : i just had family with something similar. could not boot anyway he tried. it was a dell. had to use i think f12 key during the boot process and allowed a clean install.

Zargot

@tremmor- The computer is home-built, i've had it for a few years now, never had problems booting from cds before.

@StrangleHold- i assume you mean a button that allows me to go into the bios so i can change the boot order manually. yes there is, and yes i've set it all to boot from the cd. the harddrive aint even on the boot list anymore, it still boots directly from the harddrive tho.

Zargot

okey! update: after some tinkering with the bios, i've finally managed to get my pc NOT to boot from the harddrive, only the cd-rom. however, i keep getting

client mac addr: -my mac addr- guid: lots of Fs
PXE-e53: no boot filename recieved

PXE-MOF: exiting PXE ROM
Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

well the disk i'm using is a genuine factory disc, so i'm really confused :( i also tried a vista home basic CD i got with this laptop, same error message

StrangleHold

Staff member
@StrangleHold- i assume you mean a button that allows me to go into the bios so i can change the boot order manually.

No I didnt mean going into your bios. At the bottom of the screen when it first starts to boot does it have - Press (key) for boot order?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Reset the bios to default and try again. When you first boot with the CD/DVD in look at the bottom of the screen and see if says (to boot to the cd press (Key). It gives you like 5 seconds. That is if it shows.

anth11

Try another bootable CD, something like Ubuntu or Puppy. Microsoft don't like you downgrading to an older version of windows.
If a linux live CD boots you can use Gparted to repartition and format the HDD, then try the XP CD again.

Zargot

Try another bootable CD, something like Ubuntu or Puppy. Microsoft don't like you downgrading to an older version of windows.
If a linux live CD boots you can use Gparted to repartition and format the HDD, then try the XP CD again.

seems like a good idea. ive got a fedora cd in my box-of-computer-related-cds, so ill try! :D

edit: still nothing. "disk boot failure" :(

Last edited: